𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑺𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 ᥫ᭡

LOGAN

The next morning, I woke up early to get ready for my early practice. Lauren was gone as usual. I wasn't surprised, as we had both agreed that it was just a sex thing.

But as I passed through the kitchen, I saw April making a bowl cereal. I couldn't resist the opportunity to tease her, so I walked over and leaned against the counter next to her. "Good morning, beautiful."

April just gave me a cold look. "What do you want, Logan?"

I was taken aback by her response. Usually, she would play along with my teasing but not today. "Just trying to brighten up your morning."

"Well, it's not working," April said, turning back to her cereal.

She just gave me a cold look and ignored me, focusing on pouring her cereal into a bowl.

I rolled my eyes, "What's your deal?"

April didn't even look at me as she responded, "Nothing."

I pressed further, "Come on, why are you being so mean?"

April finally turned to face me, her expression serious. "I'm just tired of your games."

"My games?"

"Yes, your teasing and low-key flirting. It's stupid." She says angrily.

"Is this about Lauren?" I ask and fold my arms.

She rolls her eyes at me and places the milk back in the fridge. "I don't understand you. You're so fucking confusing."

"Okay hold on. As I remember, you were the one who decided that we couldn't be together like that, and if I remember correctly, you didn't mind my flirting and teasing when you actively participated."

April frowns and then looks away from me. Just as I'm about to grip her chin, her mom and my dad walk in.

"Hey guys. Good morning." April's mom says cheerfully, but I'm not so happy.

I grab an apple and make my way back to my room to get ready.

~

Later that day, after my second practice, I was exhausted and ready to head home. But as I walked towards the parking lot, I saw Lauren waiting for me.

She tried to kiss me, but I pulled back. "Not now, L. I'm really tired."

Lauren pouted, "Come on, just for a little bit. I miss you."

I was about to agree when I saw April sitting alone not too far from us. "Maybe later. Give me a minute."

I walk past Lauren to April.

"Hey," I said, standing over her.

She looked up at me, and I could tell she was still mad at me. "What do you want, Logan?"

I tried to keep my cool, but I was starting to get annoyed. "Come on, I'll give you a ride home then maybe you and I can hang."

April rolled her eyes, "No thanks. I'm still mad at you."

I sighed, "Come on. Can't we just move past this?"

April stood up, her expression serious. "No, we can't."

I felt a twinge of annoyance. "Fine. Suit yourself. Enjoy walking home in that sun."

I walked back to my car, feeling frustrated with the way things were going.

Lauren was still waiting for me, and she could tell I was annoyed, and she tried to cheer me up.

"Come on, let's go back to my place. I'll make it up to you." She said.

I couldn't resist her offer, and I put an arm around her, kissing her as I looked over at April. I wanted to make her jealous and regret her decision not to come with me.

But as I pulled back from the kiss, I whispered in Lauren's ear, "Let's get out of here."

Lauren smirked, understanding me all too well. I turned back to see April shaking her head at me, looking angry and annoyed.

I got in my car without another word and pulled out of the school parking lot.

As we drove to Lauren's place, she couldn't stop talking about April. "I just don't understand why you keep hanging out with her. She's clearly interested in you."

I sighed, "We're just friends."

Lauren's tone was skeptical, "Friends who constantly flirt and tease each other? Come on, Logan, I heard you just now. Don't play dumb. You literally flirt with every girl I know you."

I didn't want to admit it, but Lauren had a point. April and I did have a flirty dynamic, but I didn't want anything more from her. I just wanted to have fun and move on.

The last thing I want is a relationship with my new secret step sister.

But I couldn't say that to Lauren, so I just shrugged, "I don't know what you want me to say, Lauren. I like having her around, but that's it."

Lauren huffed, "Well, I don't like her. And I don't like that you're spending so much time with her."

"What time L? She just moved here."

"And she's living with you for some strange reason you won't tell me or anyone." She says.

"It's a private matter."

Lauren scoffs. "So private you can't tell your girlfriend?"

"L I told you I don't want a girlfriend."

"Whatever."

I could tell Lauren was getting jealous, and I didn't want to deal with her insecurities. "Let's just forget about April and focus on us, okay?"

Lauren's expression softened, "Okay. I'm sorry, I just get jealous sometimes."

"It's fine. Let's just enjoy the rest of the night." I say to her.

She smirks and places her hand on my thigh. :We can get shitface drunk, and you can stay over."

"I can't stay over. I can't miss any more practice. My dad is pissed I skipped my classes and practice yesterday, but I'm down for the drinks and some fun."

"That's what I like to hear."

~