𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑻𝒆𝒏 ᥫ᭡

APRIL

Later that night, I saw my mother on the balcony smoking. I got closer and placed a hand on her back, startling her.

"Crap, April, you scared me." She said with a nervous chuckle.

I smile and lean against the balcony with her. "So much for promising James you'd quit smoking."

She gives me a sad smile and sighs. "It was a tough shift."

"Don't worry, mom. I won't tell." I smile. "Can I have a hit?"

My mom laughed, still leaning against the balcony. "What kind of mother would I be if I let my teenage daughter smoke."

"Wouldn't be the first time." I laugh, and so does she.

She takes a drag from her cigarette before passing it to me. As we exhaled the smoke, I couldn't help but feel a sense of calm wash over me.

I took a deep breath and finally mustered up the courage to talk to my mom about Logan, but indirectly.

"So mom, there's this guy I like." I start.

"Ou, there's a guy already. Tell me everything." She says excitedly.

I smile and sigh. "He has a sorta girlfriend. Like they're not official, but they might as well be."

My mom raised an eyebrow, "Oh really? And who is this lucky guy?"

I hesitated, not sure if I should tell her the truth. "I don't want to say his name, but he's someone I know."

My mom looked at me curiously, "Is he a good guy? Does he treat you right?"

I nodded, "Yeah, he's an okay guy. But it's complicated."

"Because of the girl?"

And the fact that he's my stepbrother.

"Yeah." I answer.

My mom took another drag of her cigarette and then turned to face me. "You know when you were little, I used to put you in pagents?"

"Yeah, mom, I remember."

"But do you remember how confident you were? All the other girls were nervous but not you." She explains. "You were always the brightest star on that stage."

"What's your point to this?" I ask.

"My point is that you're not one to shy away from competition. If you like the boy and he's technically on the market, go for it."

I nodded, knowing she was right. "I know, but it's really more complicated than that."

"Like what?"

I consider telling her the truth, but I shake my head. "Nothing, mom."

As I finished my cigarette and headed back inside, I couldn't stop thinking about what my mom said. Why is my life so complicated?

I walked upstairs to my room, passing by Logan's room, but I could hear voices coming from inside, and I paused to listen.

It was Lauren, and she was arguing with him.

Logan tried to explain. "Can you just mind your own business. She's just staying here."

But Lauren wasn't buying it, "She's been here for like three days, and now she's living with you? I don't like it."

Logan groaned. "It's not your decision, Lauren. And it's not like that between me and April."

Lauren scoffed, "Right. I saw you two kissing. How am I supposed to believe that it's not like that?"

Logan's voice turned serious, "Because she's someone I know. It's not that serious."

There was a moment of silence before Lauren spoke again, "Well, I don't like it. And if you don't want to lose me, you'll stop seeing her."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Logan and Lauren were fighting because of me.

I continued to eavesdrop on their conversation.

Logan's voice was angry and rude as he replied, "What does it matter to you, Lauren? You're not my girlfriend. I can do what I want."

Lauren's voice trembled with hurt, "But I thought we had something special, Logan. I never expected you to cheat on me."

Logan scoffed, "Cheating? Don't be stupid. April and I are just friends. And even if we weren't, it's none of your damn business."

Lauren's voice turned bitter, "So that's it? You're choosing her over me?"

Logan's voice was cold, "I'm not choosing anyone. I just don't want to deal with your jealousy and drama anymore. Maybe this is a sign that we should end things once and for all."

There was a moment of tense silence before Lauren spoke again, "Fine, do what you want. But don't come crying to me when she breaks your heart."

Before I could move away, Lauren opened the door.

"What are you doing here?" she snapped at me and closed the door to logan's room.

I met her gaze without flinching, "I live here, so I have a right to be here. Do you?"

She scoffed, "Right, because you have every right to come between me and Logan."

I felt my own anger rising, "I didn't come between anyone. Logan and I are just friends."

Lauren's voice was full of bitterness, "That's what he wants you to think. But I know the truth. You're trying to steal him away from me."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I didn't want Logan for myself, but I also didn't want to be accused of something I didn't do.

Okay, maybe it's true that I like him, but I wasn't actively trying to take him. It's not like he's a new pair of gucci sunglasses he's a real person.

"I'm not trying to steal anyone," I said firmly. "If you can't trust Logan, that's your problem. But don't take it out on me."

Lauren's expression softened for a moment, but then she shook her head and turned to leave. "Whatever. Just stay away from me. If you think for one second he is gonna fall for a slut like you then you're wrong."

What a bitch.

"Lauren." I call out and she turns around. I smile and get closer to her. "You know I wasn't thinking about stealing Logan before, but maybe now I will."

Lauren's breathing was so heavy that a vein was ready to pop out of a forehead.

"Do you have any idea who my father is?" She says.

"No. But maybe I'll have to steal him too."

"You bitch you're gonna regret that." She says angrily.

"Do your worst."

~