𝐂𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓

DAKARI JALEN CARTERᵃᵗˡᵃⁿᵗᵃ*ᵍᵉᵒʳᵍⁱᵃ

DAKARI JALEN CARTER
ᵃᵗˡᵃⁿᵗᵃ*ᵍᵉᵒʳᵍⁱᵃ

IN THE DARK LIT ALLEY, Dakari, stood in the shadows, blending with the night. He wore a black leather jacket. His client's target, a man with a briefcase, approached unknowingly.

Dakari's gravelly voice cut through the silence, "You got a lighter?" he asked, licking the end of his rolled up blunt to secure it.

The target paused, uneasy, but pulled out a lighter. "Yeah"

As the flame flickered, Dakari's eyes met his, cold and calculated. "Your boss sends his regards," he said, exhaling smoke.

Without hesitation, Dakari retrieved a silenced pistol and fired. The briefcase dropped, papers scattering in the stillness. The target crumpled to the ground, life extinguished.

Dakari pocketed the weapon, disappearing into the night, leaving the alley in haunting silence.

He slipped through the alley's exit, back to the street where his nondescript sedan waited.

Slidding into the driver's seat, the leather creaking beneath him. The city sounds muffled as he sat for a moment, contemplating what he had just did.

His phone buzzed, and he retrieved it from his pocket. The screen illuminated with Ricci's name. He answered, "Yeah?"

Ricci's voice, filled with warmth and concern, echoed through the car speakers. "Dakari, where are you? I've been worried. You said you'd be back hours ago."

"I got caught up in something. Don't worry about it," Dakari replied, his tone unyielding.

He sighed, staring at the city lights. "I'll be home soon, Ricci. Just give me some time."

"Where Renn and Dano at?" Dakari inquired as Ricci's frown appeared on the screen. She turned the camera around, revealing the two, cuddled up and fast asleep.

Dakari chuckled, starting up the car. Ricci turned the camera back to herself, her pout evident. "It's not funny, Kari They got high — and you know I don't smoke — and fell straight asleep," she explained, looking annoyed.

She got up, and Dakari shook his head, staring up at the roof of the car.

The fours bound grew stronger as weeks passed. Their conversation where they sat down turned into a shared understanding, drawing them closer.

Dakari and Renn, in particular, couldn't recall the last time they slept at their own homes — if they did, Dano and Ricci were usually there too.

Realizing the unique connection they shared, they collectively decided to let things be, without imposing titles on their relationship.

Dakari started up the car, the engine's low hum filling the space. He placed his phone in his lap, glancing over at Ricci. "You eat?" he asked, the city lights reflecting in his eyes as he navigated the quiet streets.