Encounter

It was a quiet night in Blind Alley in London during the days in late September. A woman with harmful intentions was out basking in the cold, in the ominous chill of the night.

"It is very quiet tonight," said the woman. She observed her surroundings and noticed a pile of lumber on the side of the cobblestone.

"Look at all this, it is chaotic and slovenly. I shall tear it all down!" She laughed evilly to herself as she took her cane and broke a pile of wood lumber into splinters.

"What else can I break...?" She wondered to herself. She laughed and observed the shops on the street. She had seen a wooden stand with an array of fish displayed.

"This smelly fish stand," she laughed, "I shall tear it apart!"

She shoved the stands to the sides. The woman watched as the fish fell to the floor, basking in the chaos she had created.

"It feels so wonderful!" She exclaimed, "I shall bask in this sensation of disorderly function!"

She laughed to herself and wondered what else she could break. She walked around the alley, the cold night air feeling fresh against her skin. With a few steps down the cobblestone paving in Blind Alley, she soon had spotted a stand of glass tea sets under a lamp. She felt sudden irritation and looked around, seeing that all the streetlamps were on.

She laughed evilly as she broke the glass lamps with her cane, she continued to laugh like a maniac. She inhaled the deep night air and smiled in the dark, feeling alive with the sensation of danger.

"Now," She inhaled and pushed back her hair, "When I see something so orderly..." she raised her cane high and smiled to herself. "I must destroy it!" She smashed the glassware with her cane, the sound of the wood splintering and the glass shattering was noisy and rather terrible. She laughed like a madwoman and smiled, satisfied with her work.

"Perfect! That wonderful sound! The sound of chaos! I love it!"

She chuckled to herself and walked down receding from the scene. As she walked on the side of the cobblestone street closest to the buildings, she ran into a small girl, her height reaching her knees.

'Why is this brat getting in my way?' thought the woman to herself. She seemed irritated and trampled the little girl purposefully with her sharp feminine heeled shoes. The little girl began to cry and scream.

"Mother!" screamed the little girl. "Tsk, so noisy! Quiet, you rat! You will draw too much attention!"

The woman paused abruptly as she saw that a crowd began to gather around her.

"Damn! I cannot escape. Whatever shall I do to get out of this...?" The woman looked around, frustrated with the situation. A woman with peach skin, short strawberry blonde hair that curled perfectly, and an outdoors coat that hung over her shoulders stepped forward.

"Hey! What have you done to this little girl?" said the woman, "I saw everything you did; you devil! Do not think about escaping now."

The little girl cried in pain as her father rushed over and picked her up, beginning to reassure her everything was alright.

"This woman has trampled this girl down mercilessly! Look at her wounds!"

The girl had brutal injuries on her arms and midriff. She cried in pain and the father seemed angry with the monster-like woman.

"That Devil!" exclaimed the father, "She hurt my child!"

The townsfolk that had gathered in the crowd began to make comments about how horrifying the woman appeared to be. The doctor came into the scene and looked over the little girl.

"Well, thank God. Her injuries are not too grave. This is a relief," said the doctor.

"Let us take her to the police and have her hanged!" said the father. The woman with the strawberry blonde hair sternly spoke to the mysterious woman.

"Do not think about lying to defend yourself. If you put a foot wrong, you shall be in dire trouble."

The mysterious woman looked around her, thinking about her option. "If you choose to make a capital out of this accident," said she, "I am naturally helpless. No lady but wishes to avoid a scene." She looked up at the strawberry-blonde woman, glaring her pupils, her eyes filled with hate and envy; eyes that belonged to Satan herself. "Name your figure."

"How much do I want? What makes you think I can be bought, you scoundrel?" exclaimed the doctor. "You need to pay a hundred pounds for this girl's medical expenses and to keep this quiet."

"So? Will that be enough?" said the woman with strawberry blonde hair. The mysterious woman was quiet for a few moments.

"Damn you!"

"I do beg your pardon?"

"I think that shall be enough. Do you have cash?" said the girl's father. "I do not have money with me, but I should have some at home. Do you think I am intending to escape without paying? Follow me to my home if you cannot trust me."

The woman had walked about half of the street and used a bronze key to get into the back door.

"Wait here. I shall return with the money."

The woman disappeared into the back of the mansion, and the townsfolk stood outside waiting hopelessly.

"Can we trust her?" said the girl's father, "What if she can escape through that door?"

"We have no choice," said the strawberry blonde woman, "We have to trust her."

The woman soon came back with the money. She laughed. "Ha!" said she, "You must have been worried I would escape. I will give you ten pounds in gold, and the rest in a cheque. Take it to the bank to receive your payment." The woman began to descend down the street. "This is it for me. I shall get going."

"Wait!" said the strawberry-blonde woman, "a cheque? Not even cash? This signature! It appears to be awfully familiar... can you guarantee that this cheque is real? This signature cannot be yours."

The woman stared at the other in silence.

"Surely you must say something, if you are concerned," said the strawberry-blonde woman, "You just have entered the basement of a person at four in the morning and came out with a cheque for a hundred pounds signed by another person. Does this make any sense to you?" The strawberry-blonde woman got in the face of the mysterious woman of shorter stature.

"This cheque cannot be yours! The owner of that signature is a greater woman by far than you could ever hope to be! Did you steal it? Did you forge the signature? Tell me the truth!"

The doctor separated the two women.

"Do not worry. I will be with you until the bank opens. And I shall exchange the cheque for cash. Do you believe me now?"

The girl's father nodded, and so did the doctor. The strawberry-blonde woman was unconvinced in the situation.

"We shall wait at the office until the bank opens. If the cheque is fake... you will pay for your deceit."

"Can you even tell what is true and what is fake?" The mysterious woman laughed to herself, and soon departed, leaving the strawberry-blonde woman wondering about what had occurred just moments ago.