This is the Moment

The grand staircase clock chimed ten, and instead of retiring to her quarters, Jekyll receded down to her laboratory and began to do her studies and journal her progress. She swung the lead-lined double doors open and entered her large laboratory, where all her dreams began. She was surrounded by many shelves that held varying supplies, and in the center of the room lay a furnished oak table that had many supplies on it, all arranged in a row, pipes connecting parts to others, and in the center lay her journal. She sighed to herself, for she had forgotten to put her journal away on her desk on the neighboring shelf.

She slowly took off her white coat hung it on the coat rack by the doors and was left in her white button-up vest her black trousers, and her feminine-heeled shoes. She walked to the center of the room, pulling a list from her journal. She pulled the supplements from the list from shelves onto the center table. She smiled a little, filled with determination to complete her dream.

"This is the moment," said she, "This the day, when I send all my doubts and demons on their way." She twirled around her room in a state of bliss whilst holding her copy of 'The Science of Psychology' in her arms. "I must not look down. I must not fall. This is the sweetest moment! Damn all the odds! This day, or never, I shall sit with the gods!"

She smiled and set her book down with care. "So, what if the board cannot see and comprehend my project?" said she, facing her table. "I shall do it without their approval! I shall assess on myself." She ascended the rolling ladder to her shelves and spun on the ladder, smiling. "I believe! I believe!"

She slid down the ladder as she stood back at her table, finally accepting mentally that she was alone on this project. "I can do this. All these precious years I have spent dedicated to this dream..."

She held a graduated cylinder in her hands, looking down at the contents of her journal. She set down the graduated cylinder on the table and checked over her list once more.

"When this all began, I knew there would be a price. And I am willing to sacrifice everything to pay that price. I need to know."

She flipped pages in her journal until she reached a new page, taking her quill and dipping it in ink.