Encounter with Dr. Jekyll

Nearly three months later, Mrs. Utterson had received a letter from Dr. Jekyll inviting her over once more for supper. The two dined and discussed topics of law, and all of a sudden the conversation made its way into talking about their good friend, Dr. Lanyon.

"Are you and Lanyon still friends?" inquired Mrs. Utterson. "I am not sure." responded Jekyll. "I wish we were if we are not, I think our differing interests in the medical profession split our friendship. I am glad you never gave up hope on someone such as myself, and I appreciate your constant watch over me. I wish Lanyon would be like that as well, but she believes me to be a crazed madwoman. She calls me a pseudo-scientist!"

Mrs. Utterson nodded with a solemn expression. "What happened between you two?" Mrs. Utterson's expression turned solemn. Dr. Jekyll laughed a little. "Jane, don't give me that look!" She laughed purely. She set down her glass and repositioned herself in her chair.

"She happens to be an excellent friend! If I could, I would see her more often, but she is too stubborn when it comes to academic issues. She called me a pseudo-scientist, and a mad woman."

Jekyll looked back at the wine glass, and for a brief moment, she saw the vial of her medicine. She blinked and sighed, seeing the glass of wine once more. She peered at the bottle next to it.

"Mrs. Utterson, would you like a glass of wine?" said Jekyll, with a warm smile. "Yes please." Responded the other. "When else would I have the chance to enjoy a drink if not for today?" Mrs. Utterson noticed how pale Dr. Jekyll looked. She sighed and leaned forward in her chair, concerned for her friend.

"Katherine," said Utterson with a stern, concerned tone, "Are you well? You do not look too well." Her brow furrowed as Dr. Jekyll cleared her throat. "No, my dear friend," said Jekyll, "I am not well, not at all. I have reason to believe when I was out on my nightly outing I may have caught a cold." She directed her gaze elsewhere, not wanting Mrs. Utterson to come too close to the truth.

"I see," said Mrs. Utterson. "I hope you shall feel well soon."