Peace Returns to the Streets

Two months later on the twenty-third of December, Mrs. Utterson was sitting in the common room of her mansion by the fire, drinking her brew of evening tea. She gazed at the clock above the fireplace, the clock reading 6 o'clock. Soon she had received a newspaper which was delivered and brought to her by her servant. She looked over the paper, the realization dawning upon her that Ms. Hyde has not shown herself in the past two months.

"It has been quite lately," said Mrs. Utterson, "and there is not much in this newspaper except the information of Ms. Hyde..."

She set her newspaper down on the neighbouring table, thinking back to what Jekyll had said. "It is just like Jekyll had said! Hyde must have left London all together. But I cannot sit around and do nothing here. I shall go to the locations where the incidents of Ms. Hyde took place."

Mrs. Utterson dressed and boarded a carriage to the town by the river. She bid the driver farewell and opened the gates the gates under the bridge, walking along the cobblestone by-street. She made her way towards the docks.

"It appears to be quitter than the last time I was here. No one has heard anything about Ms. Hyde since October. Jekyll—"

"Excuse me? You are speaking of Ms. Hyde?" said a pedestrian man.

Mrs. Utterson turned to see the man standing by the docks. The man appeared out of the shadows with an irritated expression, one that was not directed towards Mrs. Utterson.

"Ms. Hyde has not been seen since the murder of Sir Danvers Carew two months ago. That bastard woman... she robbed me of my money and fled!"

"She took your money?" inquired Utterson.

"Yes. In the gambling den, nearly three weeks ago. Please do not talk about this anywhere else." returned the man.

"Do not worry, I shall not say a word about this." Said Utterson with a warm smile.

"To continue, she cheated during a game of Blackjack and took all of the money. She took not only from myself but from other men as well. There were a few games where she had one fair and square, but I had gained the upper hand in the last few games, and she was getting irritated. Instead of throwing a fit and folding during the game, she smiled to herself and decided to cheat using a card she had up her sleeve. I must admit to you Madam that it was a clever trick, but nonetheless was still cheating according to the rules and handbook of the game. No one has been able to contact her after she left the gambling house that evening. No one has spotted her around since the murder of Sir Danvers Carew. Everyone has been looking for her as of recently, so let me know if you find anything at all."

"Understood. Ms. Hyde truly made many adversaries. I thank you for your time, sir." Utterson smiled and waved as she left. "Enjoy your evening."

"You as well, Madam," returned the man with a small smile.

Mrs. Utterson retreated from the bridge and began her journey in a carriage to the pub in Cavendish Square.

"I assume this is the place where Ms. Hyde threw a fit and caused a disturbance," muttered Mrs. Utterson to herself. "Well, if Ms., Hyde had resurfaced, this place would not be as lively as it appears to be as it is now."

She paid the driver and stepped out, standing in front of the square's marble fountain. She walked around it, seeing many shops and stores of all kinds.

"Why is everyone so lively?" she wondered. A snowflake fell onto her coat, and she smiled as she made the revelation. "Oh yes. It is almost Christmas."