Whiskers and Whims

Notes: Sorry guys for taking awhile to post, back first thing and I'm already having tests left and right. Hopefully it'll be a bit better this week!

Lloyd's intense gaze holds me in a trance, and we slowly begin to lean in. However, a sudden shadow catches my eye, followed by a loud bang on the window. Our moment is abruptly interrupted, and we turn to see my mom's friend, Dareth, looking shocked. I share a surprised glance with Lloyd, realizing that my mom is likely to scold me for this. I quickly open the back door to greet Dareth.

"Hey there, Dareth," I say, trying to maintain composure.

Dareth dramatically flicks his hair back and responds, "Hello, Y/n and Lloyd. I brought some fruit tarts for you."

I smile and thank him, but Lloyd greets him more casually with a simple "Hey, Dareth." Dareth, however, takes the opportunity to strike a love-struck pose, teasing us.

"Ah, young love! This will be such news once everyone finds out about you and the green—"

Lloyd swiftly covers Dareth's mouth with his hand, preventing him from finishing the sentence. Dareth responds by licking Lloyd's hand, causing him to retract it in sheer mortification. I can't help but burst into laughter at the unexpected and amusing scene.

"Would you like tea or coffee, or anything?" I ask, and Dareth waves his hand dismissively, looking at Lloyd with a deep voice as he says, "Nah, the brown ninja has many activities to do." I raise a brow at his mysterious remark and respond with a sceptical "Sure..." while Lloyd chuckles and mimics, "Plenty, huh?"

After Dareth leaves, we say our goodbyes, leaving just me and Lloyd alone again. The interrupted moment from earlier lingers in the air, and the realization that Dareth might have witnessed our intimate moment adds a layer of awkwardness. Mentally sighing, I gather my thoughts.

Lloyd breaks the silence, asking, "You know Dareth?" I nod and explain, "He was the one who suggested us to move here. He's a nice guy, but he can be odd sometimes. Although my mom and he get along really well, they're like besties—probably because of their enthusiastic charisma, who knows?" Lloyd nods in agreement, saying, "Yeah, he's a good guy. He's helped out a lot," smiling at the thought.

I glance at my dishevelled appearance and admit, "I'm still not ready; my appearance is still crazy. I'll be right back. You can do whatever." Lloyd smiles, giving a thumbs up, "Bet. I'll message my family that I stayed over here before they get worried, although it might be a bit too late for that now." I chuckle, "Definitely too late," and head to the bathroom.

I look in the mirror, cringing at the reflection that showcases my messy appearance. Thoughts of what might have been going through Dareth's mind linger, and I mentally slap myself for entertaining such notions. Determined to present a more put-together version, I freshen up and change into a new set of clothes before heading downstairs.

As Lloyd and I prepare to leave, I take a moment to say my goodbyes to Espresso, giving him a kiss on the head. Guilt washes over me at the realization that he'll be home alone. Lloyd, too, joins in, expressing similar sentiments about not knowing when he'll be back. Despite the bittersweet moment, I smile at the scene, my earlier messy appearance now replaced by a more polished look, and we take our leave.

As Lloyd and I step outside, the crisp air greets us, and the sun hangs low, casting a warm glow over everything. My mind is a whirlwind of thoughts, but a light-hearted one slips through, "Hey Lloyd, if there was no intruder, how did you come in?" He smirks, "Speaking of that, I was going to suggest getting better locks on your door. It's very easy to break in." My eyes widen, "Well, that's quite a skill you've got there." He chuckles, "Don't worry, I'm no robber." I playfully tease, "Sounds like something a robber would say." He chuckles again and hints, "Well, it seems like you want me to be one. If you insist, then don't mind me soon enough." I wave my hands, "Oh no, no, no. You've got the wrong idea here, bud. I think I'd have a heart attack." He smirks, "Tell me about it." I retort, "Hey, you're supposed to disagree." He shakes his head, "Hey, now that would be a lie. I'd never do such a thing." With a playful tone, he adds, "The truth hurts sometimes." I wave my hand dismissively, "Oh, stop it, you."

"So, do you really plan on keeping Espresso?" Lloyd asks, and I give a stern nod. "I made up my mind the moment I saw him," I declare. He chuckles, "Your mum is going to be in for a surprise." I reply confidently, "Hopefully, I won't get my ass whooped. It should be fine; with Espresso's cute charms, I'm sure he'll win her over." Lloyd laughs, "Oh yeah, I bet he will with his, um, very bright personality." I fake gasp and feign hurt, "What are you trying to say, Lloyd? My son Espresso has a very bright personality and a big future ahead of him." He gives me a playful side-eye, "Sure, he does..." I playfully whack his arm, and he retorts, "Joking, of course. He will grow up to be a gentleman like me." I roll my eyes, "Bless this poor cat, then." Lloyd responds with a mischievous grin, "Oh, I will." I playfully jab him, "You know damn well that is not what I meant." Lloyd just shrugs playfully, "I have no idea what you mean."

Walking toward the pet shop, I decide to inject a playful vibe into the conversation with Lloyd. Flashing a mischievous smile, I say, "You know, Espresso might need a mysterious companion, someone with crazy skills, perhaps."

Lloyd raises an intrigued eyebrow, playing along. "Oh, really? And who might this mysterious companion be?" he asks, a playful glint in his eyes.

I pretend to ponder for a moment, tapping my chin. "Hmm, someone in a green hoodie, maybe? Someone who can sneak in and out without a trace."

Lloyd smirks, catching onto the playful banter. "Sounds like a character. Any ideas who this mysterious playmate might be?"

I give him a teasing look. "Well, he's standing right next to me, wearing a green hoodie, who also broke in to my house. Any guesses?"

Lloyd chuckles, leaning in a bit closer. "You've got a point. Maybe Espresso and I can team up for some ninja adventures."

I laugh, enjoying the light-hearted exchange. "Just make sure you two don't cause too much mischief. I can't be dealing with double trouble."

Lloyd grins, "No promises," and we continue our banter as we make our way to the pet shop.

We enter the pet shop, and it's massive. The variety of animals and the plethora of items needed to care for them are overwhelming. I haven't even begun to think about what to buy for Espresso. Lloyd senses my confusion and takes the lead.

As we stroll through the pet shop, Lloyd becomes my guide through the aisles, sharing his knowledge and offering insights into pet care. His genuine interest in the well-being of animals is endearing, and I can't help but find it attractive—a definite green flag. There's something irresistible about a guy who not only cares for pets but also takes the time to understand their needs.

We finally arrive at the section dedicated to cat supplies and he turns to me "So, what are we thinking for Espresso's new kingdom?" he asks with a playful twinkle in his eye.