Unexpected Guests

"So, out of sheer curiosity, do you happen to have Kai's contact number?" I inquire, noticing the sun casting long shadows as it begins its descent. Lloyd shakes his head in response. "Nope, nothing on me," he confirms. Understanding his predicament, I suggest, "Well, we could always swing by the noodle place we were at earlier." Lloyd agrees, and we set off in that direction.

Under his breath, Lloyd murmurs, "Typical Kai, never considering the consequences of his actions... unless that was his plan all along." I can't help but chuckle at his observation. "That's the mark of a true leader, always thinking ahead. Whether this was Kai's master plan or just his usual spontaneity, who knows?" I mull over the thought, earning a wry smile from Lloyd as he pinches his nose in amusement.

The once bustling streets now lulled into a peaceful calmness, with the distant murmur of closing shops and the soft glow of streetlights heralding the arrival of evening. As we reach the familiar façade of Chen's Noodle House, I can't help but let out a sigh at the sight of the closed sign and the dimly lit interior. "I swear, I'm never doing favours again. No offense, Lloyd," I jest, glancing at my companion. He chuckles in response, "None taken." Then, he adds confidently, "I could have managed on my own just fine, you know. I still remember my way around." I shake my head, scepticism evident in my tone. "Remember, times have changed. Your stomping grounds might not be what they used to be, from what I've heard in the media." He nods in understanding, a faint "oh" escaping his lips. "Well, where there's a will, there's a way," I continue, offering a solution. "You can stay over at my place for tonight." Lloyd looks hesitant, his brows furrowing in uncertainty. "Are you sure about that?" he asks cautiously. I flash him a reassuring smile. "Absolutely. We've got an extra guest room, and I happen to have groceries with me, so it's all sorted."

I purchase a ticket for Lloyd, and he offers a grateful "thanks" as we wait for the monorail to arrive at the station. "So, how old are you now?" I inquire curiously. Lloyd responds, "Fourteen." "Ah, that makes sense. How old were you when we last spoke?" I probe further. "I was ten," Lloyd answers, his tone reflective. "It's crazy how my mindset changes so much in just a few years," he muses. I nod in agreement, contemplating the rapid evolution of perspectives with age. As our monorail arrives, we board after showing our tickets.

As we settle into the monorail, I'm struck by the eerie stillness outside. Where once bustling streets thrived with life, now there's an almost haunting emptiness, with only the occasional passer-by or distant car breaking the silence. The cityscape outside has transformed into a tranquil tableau, bathed in the soft glow of streetlights and illuminated signs.

The rhythmic hum of the train adds a soothing cadence to our conversation, punctuated by the occasional announcement over the intercom. Despite the chaos of the outside world, here in the monorail, there's a sense of peace and serenity that envelops us, offering a brief respite from the urban frenzy.

As time passes, I feel a weight on my shoulder, and I glance to my side to see Lloyd, fast asleep, his head nestled comfortably against me. The rhythmic hum of the monorail seems to have lulled him into a peaceful slumber. I take a moment to observe our fellow passengers, most of whom are either dozing off or engrossed in their own tasks, the soft glow of laptops casting a gentle light in the dim carriage.

As the monorail glides through the city, carrying us toward our destination, a sense of calm envelops the carriage. The rhythmic hum of the train and the muted chatter of fellow passengers create a tranquil ambiance, lulling me into a state of relaxation. Occasionally, the lights flicker ever so slightly, but I pay little attention to it, attributing it to the quirks of public transportation.

In a sudden, heart-stopping moment, the tranquillity is shattered by a deafening rumble that reverberates through the train, jolting passengers from their reverie. With a sharp lurch, the monorail comes to an abrupt halt, sending me careening forward, my head colliding with the seat in front of me. I wince in pain, feeling a throbbing ache in my forehead, while the air fills with the collective groans of startled passengers.