𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐

A few days had passed since the incident, the memory of it fading into the backdrop of Damian's mind. The city, with its pulsating energy and relentless rhythm, had a way of making even the most vivid memories seem distant.

Damian found himself wandering the streets, his footsteps echoing against the concrete. The city was a symphony of sounds - the distant hum of traffic, the occasional laughter spilling out from a nearby café, the soft rustle of leaves in the breeze. It was a familiar soundtrack, one that had accompanied him on countless nights.

But tonight, his thoughts were elsewhere. He was contemplating a change, a shift from his current lifestyle. The idea of getting a real job had been playing on his mind. It was a daunting thought, a departure from the life he had known. Yet, there was a part of him that yearned for it, a part of him that was drawn to the promise of stability and normalcy.

As he roamed the streets, he found himself observing the people around him. The office workers hurrying home after a long day, the shopkeepers closing up for the night, the street performers packing up their instruments. They all had something he didn't - a purpose, a place in the grand scheme of things.

He passed by a bakery, the sweet aroma of fresh pastries wafting through the air. His eyes landed on a slice of tiramisu in the display window. It was his favorite, a small indulgence he allowed himself. He bought a slice, his mind still preoccupied.

Back home, he sat on the rooftop, the cityscape spread out before him. He took a bite of the tiramisu, the familiar flavors bringing a sense of comfort. He looked out at the city, his city, and made a decision. He would try to find a job, try to carve out a new path for himself.

The night was quiet, the city seemingly holding its breath as Damian contemplated his future. It was a moment of introspection, a moment of decision. And as he sat there, the city at his feet, Damian felt a strange sense of peace. He was ready for whatever came next. This was his world, his story. And he was ready to turn the page.

With newfound determination, Damian decided to try his hand at an honest job. He returned to the bakery, his heart pounding with anticipation and a hint of fear.

Will I be able to get a job?

-

"Alright, Damian," the bakery owner, a stout man with a flour-dusted apron, began, "Let's see what you've got."

The first test was kneading dough. "A good baker can feel when the dough is just right," the owner explained, handing Damian a lump of dough. Damian rolled up his sleeves and began to knead, his hands working the dough with surprising gentleness.

"Good, good," the owner nodded, watching Damian's progress. "Now, let's see how you handle the oven."

Damian was then tasked with baking a batch of bread. The heat of the oven was intense, but Damian didn't flinch. He carefully placed the dough into the oven, setting the temperature as instructed.

While waiting for the bread to bake, Damian was asked to frost some cupcakes. "Precision and creativity, that's what we need here," the head baker, a woman with a kind smile, told him. Damian picked up the piping bag and began to work, his focus evident in his furrowed brow.

When the timer for the bread rang, Damian promptly took it out of the oven. The bread was perfectly baked, a golden brown crust encasing the soft interior. He turned to face the man, waiting for the next task. The man never spoke for a long time, Damian knew he must've screwed up somewhere.

After all, he learned how to bake by simply watching YouTube videos. A bead of sweat rolled down the side of his forehead, will this man say something already? He was starting to lose patience.