Chapter Twenty-Eight: Liberation

"It is said that freedom comes with a price,
And rather than something of choice to give for that freedom...it had to be a sacrifice...
Not an offering.
What would one sacrifice?
A precious memory?
Their very soul?
Or who they cherished most?
Maybe even themselves?
What would one risk to have such freedom?
To not be shackled any longer."

Ben's POV

The way Rey had been looking at me.

Longing in her eyes.

The shock of disbelief drowning in her eyes.

In such disbelief...such heartache.

I regretted ever word I spoke, but if it meant Rey's safety...I'd gladly lie as much as I needed to.

Yes, I was the strongest amongst her grandfather's ranks...but being that I betrayed him...fell in love with his granddaughter...

Knowing who she truly was...and not telling her is what I regretted most.

Holding back truths that should have been spoken many moons ago.

I was now stripped of my rank, of my status.

I was just a man losing his wife now.

My wife who'd belong to another.

Something sparked in me but before I could do anything Lionel kicked me in the stomach.

"Resist no further traitor."

"Do what you want." I spat out blood as I was on my knees.

The next moment, Lionel had dropped a sword at my side.

"You will fight to the death. Now pick up the sword."

I didn't pick it up as he kicked my face with his metal boot.

"I said pick it up!"

I obeyed as I took the blade in my hand.

"Now stand up."

I stood with great struggle as a staggered a bit.

And before Lionel could strike, the spark from just a few moments ago was back.

And without thought I took my sword and throw it at him.

He dodged as I grabbed his dagger, piecing him in the throat.

Once I let go the other guards were all over me as I killed every last one of them.

The monster I was had returned.

I hated the idea of it...but I couldn't bring myself to lose Rey.

I quickly grabbed what I could before making it back (after making twists and some wrong turns through the castle) to finally reach the throne room where Rey had been.

When I barged through the pair of haunting doors that were just beyond me, keeping me from Rey...I about torn them down from the unfathomable amount of adrenaline rushing through my blood.

Just at the sight of her being roughly handed and thrown on the floor by her new soon to be husband brought my blood to a raving fire.

"Run, they mean to kill you Ben!" I had figured that out even before her warning, but it was still nice to know that even though I was hurting her now...that she still cared for me like no other.

As if I she ever saw was me in the first place, ignoring the fact that I was absolutely drenched in warm blood.

But as if a fair maiden to a dragon...she was a fairy tail maiden to me.