Chapter Fourteen: A Loosened Grip

"Our greatest joy and our greatest pain come in our relationships with others."
-Stephen R. Covey

Rey's POV

I could not move. I was frozen in place as if chained by an invisible force that wouldn't unleash me from its grasp.

Whenever I attempted to move only my fingers jerked.

My body was now laying on the ground alongside Ben's lap.

"Ben?" I managed to finally speak after some time of tussling and fighting to move my stiff muscles.

He held my increasingly cold hand covered in blood.

"Rey...You must be going into shock somehow...yo-"

Ben cut himself off as I noticed his gaze looking toward the ground, picking up the same dagger I had took a man's life with.

He was careful not to touch the blade.

"This reeks of an odd smell." He took a better smell to the blade's end to widen his eyes in realization.

"It's..."

"What is it?" I asked, quite drowsily.

Although, by the tone of his voice I knew it was nothing good.

He quickly ripped off one of his sleeves from his shirt to wrap around my stomach tightly.

He had covered my wound that had been cut by the knife. The poison was so great that it numbed the area I was bleeding from.

"I have to carry you Rey. Your terribly hurt. It's the same poison from before."

I knew he meant the snake and I had been a bit relieved. I was afraid it would have been something far worse.

At least the poison was curable.

I could only stare into his sad dark eyes as he lifted me into his arms.

"But you'll be ok. I promise you...we'll get through this." He spoke again.

I did not speak. Not once, after he had said that.

I only gazed into his eyes. His gentle and welcoming eyes.

Surprisingly enough I had caught a glimpse of an enraged flame stirring within them.

But since it was me he was protecting I only clung to him more in comfort, knowing he was here to protect me.

He was beyond furious now. If I could I would have tried to calm him but I was too weak at the moment.

I had a feeling he'd be merciful to no one that crossed his path, that was...if they were an enemy to him.

I urged all my strength to my arm, moving my hand toward Ben.

My hand went to his face. I had to calm him.

I'd fear he'd lose it if I did not try.

"I'll be fine Ben. We just have to reach the castle." He nodded.

Just then a group of men dispersed out of the woods nearby.

"I suggest you put her down scoundrel."

In a matter of seconds one of the men had the edge of their sword grazing Ben's neck, creating a small cut in his skin.

But that did not faze him.

"Put her down or she will die. You have ten seconds."

Ben's POV

I heard a voice speaking to me and I wish it wasn't who I knew it was.