Chapter One: Raised by a Royal Court

Rey POV

I was not born of royalty and neither did I wish too. As a girl I always looked upon such things as uncomfortable and restraining.

But at a young age I became an orphan and was brought in the palace of a King and Queen I knew not the names of, I was to become a place of a maid.

I was only about nine of age then.

I knew not what luxury was.

And being that I was just some orphan girl I only looked more pitiful to those who looked upon me.

I was poor and only wanted a roof over my head.

But I seemed to fancy, at the time, a particular set of eyes.

A women who I would learn later was unable to have children as other women could.

She was of the Royal Court and one of the highest in ranking.

Her name was Cordelia. She would never tell me her last name due to the fact she was also a widow. She would also not speak of her past family either, probably due to some type of fall out with her and her family.

Even so, she took me in as if I were her own. And I was grateful for her kindness so much that I never faltered to do what was told of me.

I was now of the age of nineteen. The age to where I could wed. The age where all girls wished to meet that special someone.

The age were pinning for true love, as they put it...was at its finest.

Unfortunately I was not that girl. I never once wished such ridiculous things. Not yet at least. Not for awhile.

It would restrain my freedom as a young women. I wanted to travel places outside the royal walls of the castle that I had been confined in for eleven years.

And I would leave in a heart beat if it wasn't for the one person who raised me to become a refined lady in court.

The only person that kept me from leaving this place was my adoptive mother, Cordelia.

But even she, one day, will not be able to keep me from leaving this place.

Still though, to me I was glad to have her as a mother.

Since I had awoken before sun rise I laid in bed looking out my window.

I was restless and jumped out of bed, putting on the first dress I laid eyes on along with a matching pair of shoes.

I went to the gardens where the morning fog hung low to the ground.

The air felt a bit eerie giving me a flash of chills.

I rubbed my arms to stay warm. It wasn't really helping.

I should have brought a cloak but I wasn't really thinking at the time.

I wondered here and there, pacing back and forth until the sun peaked up through the castle wall gates.

The garden that was once dark and cool started to become alive.

The fog retrieved leaving trails of dew.

The gold orange hue from the sun dappled across the garden as well.

I sighed in contemptment.

I was never going to know when my last day here was going to be. When, supposedly...I'd get swept off my feet by a man and get carried away to a far away land, maybe even to another kingdom.

To eventually give birth and to bear his children.

I did not wish to be married quite yet or even at the very least think about any men or gentlemen...and in that I was very much troubled.