Chapter Eight: Thee Unexpected

Ben's POV

I needed to find Cordelia and at great haste.

I knew Rey was slipping away and slowly running unconscious.

The venom slowly climbing up her arm, infecting her blood stream with poison.

I could barley stand the sight of what was happening to her.

Seeing her in so much pain and all I could do was watch as it was all unfolding.

The only thing I could do was find her mother as fast as I could.

She was going to be alright. I had to believe she would be anything else but gone from me.

She was going to be more than fine. She had to.

"Countess Cordelia!" I called and shouted her name with strong urgency.

Cordelia came into view a few minutes after searching the castle for her.

"What is it my dear?" She spoke in soft words as she gasped seeing her daughter in my arms.

She was petrified for a moments time before reacting right away.

"Come." I followed her through a hallway into the second room to our right.

"Hurry bring her to this table."

She set a cloth onto the table as I laid Rey as gently as I could.

"She was bitten by a snake."

"Color." She said as she brought our small bottles filled with herbs and other filled with other unknown substances that I could not recall myself.

"A deep purple I think. I only glimpsed." I stayed by Rey's side as Cordelia fiddled around for what she needed.

"What of it's size?"

"Fairly large."

"Than she'll survive. The larger those Nightfall Strikers are the less toxic their venom is but...their bite makes up for a nasty wound."

She paused between words as she got a small dish to put what she needed inside it.

I watched as Cordelia, in great haste, ripped the rest of her sleeve off.

"Hurry grab the herbs over there in the red bottle."

I did, as was told of me.

She made a mix of the red plant with other herbs she already had beside her.

She put a thin layer of the mixture on Rey's skin wherever the black color was seen.

She then bandaged Rey's arm.

"She'll be alright. She just needs a bit of rest to recover from the poison."

"What does the herb mix do exactly? How do you know she'll be ok?"

"Many, that don't tread carefully outside the castle walls, have been bitten. I, in my youth, was a very good healer. But I just know my herbs and plants well. The mix I made will soothe her pain as well as extract the poison from her body. This process will take about a day before she can fully recover from it."

Cordelia gestured for me to take Rey.

"Will you help me take her to her chambers."

"As you wish." I carried Rey carefully.

Once I had made it with Cordelia to Rey's bedroom chambers I laid her on her bed.

She looked so helpless then, it almost made me want to stay by her side.