Chapter Eighteen: Pain's Past

"Being kept in the dark, shined with false light, and still alive... is often more painstaking than that of something that is dead, being shined with real light."

-Created Myself

Recap:
—————————————
Ben's POV

Snow started to fall lightly as Cordelia headed in.

Before she walked out of the garden I called to her, stopping her as she turned around awaiting my next words.

"Why have you told me all of this? What do you have to gain?"

"Nothing. I simply know that you'll be with her more than I will and someday even marry her...so knowing that I wanted you to know. I wanted you to accept her for who she truly is. And have you?"

"Of course. I would want nothing more than to be by her side, no matter what background she has come from."

She only nodded with a sad smile before heading back to her path to the castle.

I wanted to sit out here for awhile longer.

The cold bit at my face and hands but I did not budge, not until I couldn't feel my nerves any longer.

I looked up at the sky, closed my eyes, and drew a deep breath.

I do hope Rey takes all this in alright and doesn't feel like doing anything foolish after all is said.

I opened my eyes to look at the sky, seeing my breath in a small foggy cloud from exhaling.

"I do hope you find yourself alright Rey, I know your strong...I trust in you." I whispered my words allowed.

Just then I heard a heart-throbbing sob.

My heart dropped knowing who it might've been.

—————————————
Continuation:

3rd Person POV

The dark haired man sat up immediately after hearing a small sound of sobbing.

His heart pounded like that of a horses hooves as it galloped...uneasy...high strung...worried.

He desperately hoped it wasn't Rey...but something inside of him knew it was.

He had to bite the bullet and go to her.

Comfort her if he could. Anything to make her heartbreaking weeping stop.

He could not stand the sound, knowing he was a part of that cause...at least he thought so.

After a few moments the snow appeared thicker, dropping down heavy and fast.

He finally came to his wits and mustered up courage to go to her.

With each step was a delicate crunch of snow.

That snow crunching sound soon ended as Ben appeared before Rey.

"My dear Rey...I'm so sorry...I-"

Ben's dark eyes softened at the sight of Rey looking up at him.

She looked up at the man she loved with such sorrowful eyes.

She was such a mess.

She couldn't say not one word...nothing would come out...her tear-stained face was all that she could provide.

She tried to hide her face after noticing Ben's presence near her.

She was sitting on the ice cold snow, barefoot with her legs pulled to her chest.