Chapter Sixteen: Part of a Distance

Shed your insecurities
and reveal yourself to me
so I can see each imperfection,
cherish every flaw,
get to know you from
the inside out
for my love is raw.

- Christy Ann Martine
———————————————
Rey's POV

After eating, just as the maid had told me, Cordelia entered my chambers.

This time she had brought in something wrapped in her arms.

"I know your birthday is not until a couple days but I could not pass the opportunity to buy this for you."

"A couple of days? So was the accident in the town...yesterday?"

"Yes. You were quite weak but recovered quite well. From other cases I've dealt with, usually it takes about three to four days to recover but you have always proven to be quite the warrior when fighting sickness. Quite the stubborn one you are."

"I could only learn it from the best." I smiled at her as she gave me a playful glare.

I averted my eyes to what was wrapped like a present in Cordelia's hands.

"Is it another gown?" I asked simply and careful.

"Yes, indeed it is. I bought it the morning you and Captain Solo went out on your little getaway."

She winked at me as I blushed fiercely.

"We were merely doing a little shopping is all."

"Of course you were. Now open it."

She passed me the wrapped present.

But before I opened it I wanted to ask her a question.

"Are we not having a small celebration?"

"Of course we are but I also wished to buy you something. Even if it is merely a gown. Now open! I want to see what you think!"

I opened the wrapping, taking it apart gently but harshly enough to tear.

I immediately saw a gray and silver laced dress.

The material was of fine and soft silk. The dresses sleeves were of solid silverish grey.

"It's beautiful, thank you mother!" I hugged her.

"You are very welcome my dear. I am glad you like it so."

"What made you want to buy such a beautiful gown for me as this?" I asked.

"I thought it might complement your dark hair well and I was most definitely right. The gown is also for a small celebration that I'll be putting together for you."

"Well thank you, I might have a hair pin that could match this! It's located in my bottom drawer, if you don't mind."

"No problem, I'll go and fetch it for you."

Cordelia rummaged through the drawer to find my dark silver clip that had small dark green jewels with flower engravings.

"This is beautiful! I had almost forgotten about this one." Cordelia exclaimed with a gentle look of amazement.

"Well, you did give it to me on my sixteenth birthday after all." I chuckled, allowing the ends of my mouth to curve in a slight smile.

"As old as it is...I could never see myself parting with it." I spoke once more as Cordelia looked at me with glee.

"This was an old gift from my dear mother when I was younger. This must at least be forty years old by now. How does it look so new?"

"I keep it in good condition of course! There is a elderly man in town that specializes in cleaning and even making jewelry, hair pieces and pins such as this. And the nice man even repaired a couple loose jewels on it without payment."