Chapter Fifteen: Early Snowfall

"Love is an unconditional commitment to an imperfect person. To love somebody isn't just a strong feeling. It is a decision, a judgment and a promise."
                                            -Unknown

Ben's POV

Inside her chambers Rey's wound was being treated by Countess Cordelia at the moment.

I felt antsy but I knew I had to be patient and wait upon the arrival of her better health.

I just couldn't itch off the nerve that I could have prevented this. I could have done better to save her from experiencing such pain.

Once she was awake I knew she'd be troubled upon killing that man...but I wanted to reassure her it wasn't her fault.

She had nothing to do with being a murderer or a killer. That man had probably killed hundreds if not millions under Hux's orders.

She needed to know she wasn't a monster and she'd never be. And if anyone were to say any different I'd make sure to set their thinking straight.

Rey was a fair lady, one who had a heart of gold.

She forgave me even when she barley knew of my past. The words that I had spoken to her of what I did, the horrible acts I committed to killing...

...she chose to trust me...

...even without a witness to support me that I no longer wanted to be what I was.

She was honest and stood for what was right. And in that she could never be a monster. She could never be something like I had been years before I met her.

Compared to her I was the beast...I was the monster. I was something that could not have been contained years back. I truly was a killer...and I hated what I did.

I was beginning to think...maybe...maybe it was me.

She was safer without my presence and with it she has only gotten into situations of frequently inflicted pain.

But I knew better, it would have been selfish of me to leave her just because I felt I was not good enough for her.

I felt the look in her eyes whenever she'd glance at me, the warmth they brought.

When ever she'd smile her cheeks would turn a small shade of red. Her appearance was as if she were a spring lily.

The way she appeared so lovingly was because her love for me. She was in love with me as much as I was head over heels for her.

I could not leave her side. I wanted to protect her.

Even if I did think so lowly of myself she was why I lived.

Rey's POV

My eyes flickered open to the movement near my arm.

But before I looked I jolted my hands in front of my face to make sure they weren't bloody.

To my relief they were just covered in a few bandages.

I looked to the side of my bed.

Cordelia was awake, sitting on a chair and was currently holding my hand with hers.

Her eyes looked exhausted and drained as if she had been crying for awhile.

"Your finally awake. You should stay in bed until you've fully recovered. And...I want you near me for awhile. That is until I know your safer than you've been these past few days."