Prologue

1636

Stuart

"Harry, this is not appropriate. I am heir of the crown. I can't simply flee the country with you." I mumbled, enjoying the way he ran his hands through my hair and touched the bare skin of my back. His touch was feathery and made goosebumps arise.

"I know I am just your personal guard and the type of life I can offer you could never compare to what you have on court, but I love you, Charlotte." His bright green eyes vibrated with veneration and devotion, something that lacked in my actual husband. The man in front of me was everything I wished I could have.

"Gaston is going to kill us and inherit my crown. As much as I love you, we can't simply leave." He sighed in discontentment, making me frown. I wanted to leave and never look back, but my whole life I had been taught that the country comes above everything else, and even though I was in love with Harry, I could never abandon my royal position and leave the crown for my very greedy, very reckless husband.

"Can we please not talk about this? I hate bringing up this saddening matters." I spoke, getting closer to his body and laying my head against his bare chest. Harry held me close against him and placed a kiss atop my head, making me sigh in contentment.

"Yes. Shall we talk about the upcoming ball in honour of your twenty first birthday, my Queen?" He made me smile and I moved around, placing my legs around his waist and relishing in the feeling of our mixed body warmth. Harry gripped my waist and placed a kiss between my breast.

"The true celebration will happen after the party ends." I mumbled, leaning down and placing my lips against his. The feeling was exquisite, and I silently prayed that this infidelity of mine didn't end badly.

"Your highness, what are you implying? I don't think I comprehend properly." He smiled at me, a rare display of his dimples and small teeth. It was truly the most beautiful sight on Earth, and I would have exchanged all my belongings just to keep watching his smile. When he lit up like that, my resolutions faltered and I wondered if abandoning everything would be as bad as I perceived.

"The secret passage to my chambers will be open. Perhaps we can have some late night fun." He smiled knowingly at me, placing a kiss along my neck and jawline. I could feel every inch of his bare skin against my own, and for a moment I allowed myself to pretend we were husband and wife, happily trying to conceive heirs.

"Queen Charlotte your indecent proposal baffles me, but I think we can start the celebrations now." He started to kiss my face, my neck, my chest, and slowly slipped inside me one more time, our bodies united in the most intimate way. He was caring, slow and nothing like my infamous husband, something that made me incredibly happy.

We were making love, and I couldn't feel more content or complete. Until I heard something uncommon, and it surely made my heart stop for a moment.

"Harry, someone is outside." I mumbled, fearfully getting off of him and searching around for my clothes. Harry handed me my silk robe, looking around for his sword and his own clothes.

"Stay here, Charlotte. If I don't come back soon, just hide until it's safe." My body was shaking and I felt empty and cold, fearing for Harry's life. He looked gorgeous and determined, his duty of protecting me being the only thing on his mind.

"I love you." I told him, standing in front of him and feeling my erratic heartbeat. Harry smiled, even though it didn't reach his eyes. His fingers delicately swept under my eyes, removing big tears that I hadn't even noticed before.

"I love you, Charlotte. Not Charlotte Elizabeth Marie Stuart, Queen of England, Ireland and Scotland. Just you, my Charlotte. Now, lock the door and wait for me." He advised me, leaning down and pressing a passionate kiss against my lips, pulling our bodies closer. I held him tightly but let go once our lips detached.

Wrapping my arms around my cold body, I watched as he opened the door and blew me one last kiss, before disappearing on the corridor of the not so grand cottage we currently occupied.

With quick movements I locked the door one more time and looked around for my clothes, my dress fitting me without any difficulty. The thought of Harry facing the unknown outside made me shiver in anticipation, and I retrieved a small dagger I had kept hidden inside a discarded pillow on the floor.

Trying to ignore my erratic heartbeat and praying for Harry's integrity, I held the blade tightly, wanting nothing more than his presence beside me. Minutes went by without any noise, until I heard something that would permanently alter my entire life.

The bloodcurdling scream made my entire body freeze, and I immediately began to bawl like a new born, pouring my entire soul in those tears. It was Harry's scream, I could tell, and once I heard loud banging on the door I didn't even pretend I could hide.

The lock gave in easily, and I looked up like a frightened small child, facing the most venomous eyes I had ever seen. Gaston smiled menacingly at me, walking until he stood tall above me. In that moment he probably felt

"Get up, Charlotte. I don't have the entire day." He snapped, meanwhile all I could do was face his boots and try to hide the small blade I still held on for dear life.

"Where is Harry?" I asked him, trying to wipe away the endless tears.

"Rotting in hell where he deserves. Now you better get up or you'll have the same destiny." In that moment I realised that Gaston would never forgive my treachery, and I would be dead before my birthday ball.

Grieve filled my entire body, but as I looked up at my husband's eyes I also felt anger, fuelling my decisions and making me rather irrational. In a quick decision I got up and hid my hands behind my back, looking at him with pure hatred.

"Why did you do it?" I enquired, wanting to hear his last words.

"I've been following you around for months, Charlotte. I am a King and you are simply a woman. I would never accept your betrayal." He spoke dismissively, making me proud of my choice. At least I had humiliated him enough while bedding my own guard for at least eight months.

"Now let's go. My horse is waiting outside." Knowing he was alone gave me even more courage, and taking a deep breath I went forward, stabbing a rather unprotected Gaston. His eyes widened in pain, and I twisted the dagger inside him, making sure he wouldn't survive.

"This is for Harry, and for all those countless times you forced yourself on me and hurt me." I told him, feeling the warmth of his blood against my hands.

"You're going to pay for this, Charlotte. I don't know when, but you will pay." His eyelids fluttered close and I watched in horrifying awe as his body fell limp at my feet. My hands were drenched in his blood, and I picked up my discarded robe, trying to clean myself as best as I could.

Taking in my surroundings I ran outside, until I saw Harry's body laying on the ground, a pool of his own blood surrounding his head.

I knelt down in front of him and kissed his lips one more time, feeling my tears falling on his lifeless body.

"I am so sorry Harry. So sorry." I mumbled, not sure what I should do next. My dress was completely ruined, and as I ran my hands through Harry's hair, I felt completely desolated, trying to decide my next move and justify the blood all over me.

"I love you Harry. I am sorry it had to end like this." I closed his eyes and got up, leaning against the walls. I couldn't quite fathom the idea of not having Harry in my life, and as I made my way outside of this cursed cottage, my tears intensified. Outside, I was obliged to face Gaston's horse and my future of uncertainty, not sure if I would be alive to turn twenty one.

Leaning against the doors, I sat down on the cold floor and cried, until I was nothing but the shell of a Queen and a heartbroken girl, whose lover was laying lifeless inside that house. And after my tears dried and my body ached in every possible way, I got up and looked at that house one last time, riding back to the palace and leaving my heart behind with Harry Styles.