Forty four

Stuart

If time moved slowly when we were in front of witnesses, it rushed once Harry and I reached the studio. He barely pecked my lips before switching places with Oliver. They didn't share words or glances, probably still angered about the exchanged that happened minutes before. I was a bit proud, knowing their minds were settled on our plan.

Harry disappeared through the hidden door, although this time I knew he wouldn't go far. He probably was balancing his weight from one foot to another, much like he always did when anxious about something. Oliver and I silently turned off the main light and left the room illuminated by just a small lamp atop the mahogany desk.

Its yellow tone encased the room, transforming the stern feeling of the place into something welcoming and perfect for a couple unable to keep their hands to themselves. We looked at each other, his eyes carrying a betrayal I couldn't diminish with my words. Of course he understood pretty soon why I kissed him, but even though the ends possibly justified the means, I still felt terrible.

"Round two I guess." He spoke about kissing me the same way someone who had just killed a pet would do. I nodded, not trusting my voice in that moment. Doing one final effort to make our plan work, Oliver leant against the desk, placing both hands on my waist and kissing me again.

The action and our position reminded me of what I did with Harry back there, mere hours before. Our mouths moved in sync, a perfect performance of passion and desire. My heart rate still picked up, but I felt like an actress, giving her best in the role that could make or break her career. His hands rested on the small of my back, his long fingers grazing my bum and making me feel uncomfortable. He sucked on my bottom lip with delicacy until our moment was interrupted by the door opening. It was a discreet and barely audible sound, one that should be ignored if we were truly invested in the kiss.

Oliver tightened his grip on my waist both as a warning and as a way of showing more passion, our lips touching and small grunts leaving his mouth. I broke the kiss a few seconds later, muttering small profanities and feeling my stomach churn unpleasantly.

"Quite the show, if you ask me." He spoke, making me turn around in haste. "I wonder what Harry would say if he saw it." I sighed, knowing my eyes showed how scared I was. Being resolute about what I had to do was almost the opposite of being confident.

"Why won't you let me live my life in peace?" I asked him a question that haunted me for a long time. His anger and blood lust made sense back in the day, but centuries after everything happened, he still found pleasure in hunting me.

"You always thought you were so smart, so special, intellectually above me. I could've pretended you weren't cheating on me if you didn't have the audacity to think you could ever become a good ruler." I scoffed, shocked. He was indeed a psychopath and I had been too naïve if I believed for one second that once we actually talked I'd be able to understand his motives.

"Now let's go, Ayla is waiting outside." I rose a sceptical eyebrow, although a part of me was starting to feel uneasy. We should be locked together by then, but I hadn't noticed the door budge. Realisation soon began to down on me, making my legs wobbly and my breath shallow. Ayla probably would betray us, there was no explanation for her absence inside the studio besides her fidelity towards Gaston.

I immediately thought about the day we met, the sensation of distrust filling my body. Perhaps I should've listened to myself in that occasion, walked away once I still had the chance to stop the events unfolding in front of me. Oliver probably noticed the same thing as me, considering how his hand entwined with mine.

I accepted his gesture and decided to take the lead. Even if my ex-husband had somehow managed to acquire leverage in the short time we were absent from that stupid ballroom, I wouldn't back down. It was a true life or death matter, and for once in my life I felt free. I would acquire that freedom one way or another; at least I had made preparations and said goodbye to those I loved. They would surely have a nice life without me around, if that was the case.