Thirty four

Stuart

"Why would you invite Oliver over?" Arthur questioned, sparing me a surprised look. I rolled my eyes at him, knowing he wouldn't believe me if I told him I just needed some extra support.

"I didn't exactly invite him, but we have a lot to discuss. Harry's unwillingness to help changes our plans. Also, I don't exactly trust my phone line. What if someone is listening to our conversations?" Artie looked into my eyes as if I had grown a new head in the seconds I finished my phrase.

"You watch too many suspense shows. It makes you even more paranoid and it surely doesn't suit it." I shrugged, knowing the conversation was pointless. Deep down I knew Arthur didn't understand my relationship with Oliver fully, in fact neither did I, but as I thought about his presence inside my home, somewhere deep inside me felt comforted, loved.

I hadn't told Arthur about my disturbing phone call, I wouldn't do it until I discussed the issue with Oliver. He was the only human in the world who truly understand what I had been through, how long and confusing an endless life could be. I valued his opinion because he had an insight no one, not even my family, could obtain.

"As long as you two don't fuck. That'd be very beneficial for all parts involved, me included." I rolled my eyes, annoyed.

"Just because most of your issues are resolved through sex, it doesn't mean others do the same. He'll be here soon, please behave." He gave me a wicked smile, one that resembled his toddler-self promising he wouldn't misbehave and doing exactly that only minutes later. Since those days I wasn't entirely able to be mad at him, even though he deserved most of my wrath, because his blue eyes always seemed pure and warm, wavering my beliefs.

"I'll be at my room binge watching White Collar once again, because Matt Bomer." I nodded in agreement, remembering the enchanting blue eyes of Arthur's favourite lead male.

"When Ollie leaves I'll join you. I never pass up some good eye candy." He smiled a bit, nodding and making his way upstairs in haste. I knew that he wanted to hear every single word we'd say, but his respect for my privacy was bigger than his curiosity. That small gesture, perhaps a non-conscious one at that, made me realise how much he had grown during the ordeal our lives became.

My thoughts and considerations became jumbled as I obsessively looked at the front door, waiting for Oliver. I couldn't keep my mind focused, thinking about my past, my future and the in between I was living. My entire life had changed in a matter of months, and in comparison to what I had been experiencing for the last fifty years or so, I was incredibly out of my comfort zone, going through a whirlwind of fucked up shit that would either kill me or set me free.

The stakes were higher than ever, perhaps equally as harsh as the ones I had to face when Gaston killed the old Harry. Secretly, I had become accustomed to my life and its endless cycles. I was horribly scared of dying, or worse, losing people I cared about; I had already hurt them a lot, in different ways, and even though they didn't condemn me half as much as they should, I knew exactly how extensive my fuck ups were.

My self depreciative mood immediately shifted once I heard the sound of an incoming text. I didn't even open it, already getting up and walking towards the main door once I saw Ollie's name across my screen. I rapidly typed in the security codes and felt my knees weaken a bit once I saw him closing the door delicately.

Every emotion I felt ever since ending the phone call with Ayla came crashing down, the tide of feelings so overwhelming I was drowning in them. My sobs were surprising to us both, but instead of letting me go, he tightened our embrace and whispered sweet nothings in my ear. If his strong arms weren't holding me I probably would've fell down on the ground, knees unable to sustain the entire weight of my body and the gigantic world of worries I carried inside me.