Forty one

Stuart

"Charlie, if you don't get out of your bedroom now, we'll be late. We need to be there at least one hour before the guests." I sighed, smiling apologetically at the make up artist as she finished her work.

"I'm just applying a bit of highlighter." I answered curtly. Once everything was done, I got up and looked myself in the full length mirror, gasping a bit. I had tried on my dress plenty of times, but the jewels and my glam team made me feel as if I had been transported back in time.

"You look gorgeous, Charlotte." The girl complimented me, clearly proud of her work. I thanked her but hardly paid attention when she left my room and whished me a nice night. I couldn't stop staring into my own eyes, almost as if they were a portal to another era, one in which I still could write my own destiny.

"Charlie, oh my God." Sienna's voice broke my trance, reminding me that I probably had been standing inside my room, dumbfounded, for too long.

"Is that good or bad?" I asked, feeling a bit uneasy.

"Are you kidding me? I look amazing, but you are something out of this world. It's like a painting of yours just came to life." She did look breathtakingly beautiful. Her blonde hair was in a braided updo, complimenting her golden and white dress. The skirt was flowy, much less stuffy than mine, her sleeves were delicate and filled with hand embroidery, golden flowers that accentuated her light eyes, fair skin and blond hair. She looked like a fairy.

"I have never seen you look so pretty." I complimented her, smiling as I saw her cheeks turn a shade darker.

"Charlie, don't deflect. Tonight it is all about you. I can't believe you didn't let me take a peak at this dress before tonight. It is far too pretty to be seen only once." I smiled, shrugging. I wanted to surprise everyone around me.

"Our driver is already downstairs?" I asked.

"Yeah. Arthur took the car because we might need it later." I nodded, feeling the unmistakable chill of fear run down my spine. The moment we dreaded most had arrived, making me wonder if we'd leave the party on a happy or sad note.

"Let's go, someone's downstairs waiting for you." I followed Sienna, feeling the weight of my gown slowing me a bit. It had been far too long since the last time I wore such a dress, and I had forgotten how walking was an art whenever so many layers of fabric were involved.

As expected, Oliver stood at the bottom of our stairs, smiling brightly at me. His eyes shone in a way I hadn't seen before, so much affection in them. He held a bouquet of white peonies, making me shake my head in disbelief.

"Charlie, holy fuck. I hadn't seen you like this in so long. You look stunning, truly a queen." He was stuttering a bit, clearly astounded. I smiled, feeling proud of myself. I accepted his flowers, my heart fluttering a bit because of his delicate gesture.

"I'll put these here and we can leave." I spoke, replacing the old roses inside a vase with my perfect peonies. Sienna watched our exchange with mischief, I could see her eyes glinting once I accepted Oliver's arm and walked outside, allowing my sister to lock our house.

"You're the Queen of England all over again." He murmured in my ear. I felt my cheeks heating up despite the unforgivable, cold weather. I knew he was trying to control himself and his comments, but I could see how enticed Oliver was, how much he wished our situation was different.

"Well Mr Cavendish, you're a duke all over again too." I looked him up and down, enjoying the contrast between us. My white dress somehow complimented his black attire, day and night, light and shadow.