Twenty four

Stuart

"You're afraid of planes?" I asked in amusement, depositing my bags on the floor with carelessness. The small house Oliver had rented seemed like something out of movies. Brick walls, large fireplace, wooden staircase and many old paintings. The longer I looked around the room I was supposed to sleep in, the more I remembered my own bed chambers in the castle, not even an hour away from us. My heart pounded, unwanted feelings settling at the pit of my stomach. I was anxious in a bad way, worried about what I'd find during our historical visit. Everyone seemed distressed in a way, a quietness settling among us even though we had a very eventful flight, considering Arthur decided to drink champagne.

"Yeah, but I wasn't going to say it, not until we landed. I didn't need a pity party." Oliver clarified, smiling at me and leaning against the doorframe of my room. I looked into his blue eyes and smiled, remembering Sienna's advice. I wondered what she'd do if she was in my position. I could have worse concerns in my mind, but it felt awfully wrong, manipulating someone's feelings for my own benefit.

"We have the whole night to ourselves, I'm sure you can take a nap and then we'll find something to eat." He dismissed my idea, as if I had just suggested something too outrageous to even be considered serious.

"I don't take naps. This is the first time since I finished med school that I took some days off. The house owner told me she bought some groceries and left them on the kitchen, so I guess I'll cook us something." I smiled at the thought of food, knowing I was still enjoying the high of seven mimosas.

"If you can cook a decent grilled cheese I'm already happy." He scoffed, getting inside and taking a seat on my bed. I was the only one not sleeping on a single's mattress; I figured it had something to do with the fact that my life was probably falling apart and they all decided to give me a small perk during our trip.

"I happen to be an amazing cook, thank you very much." He laid down on the neat sheets, closing his eyes while I opened my bag and found my phone. I promised Harry I'd text him as soon as I reached land, but I decided I would do it when I could lay down and facetime him.

To: Harry

Do you think we can facetime later? I just arrived.

I'm staying in the only room with a queen sized bed ;)

I sent the small texts quickly, thinking about the irony of my bed and my old title. That was the type of joke I wanted to crack but wouldn't be able to, not with Harry.

"Your bed is great, mine is squeaky." Oliver said after minutes of silence between us. I had almost forgotten about his presence inside my room, but not quite, considering the way the waistband of his boxers showed just enough to leave me wondering.

"Although I suppose there is some righteousness in this situation, considering this is a queen sized bed." he sat up and winked at me, making me laugh but also making my heartbeat fasten. I believed in many things, but mind reading was not one of them; Oliver's words were the result of a coincidence, the type of thing that usually gave us chills and indicated compatibility between two people. Before I could say anything or allow myself too much time dwelling in such a small thing, I felt my phone vibrate.

From: Harry

I guess I should start my make-up. I will call you when I'm done

Also, why such a big bed when I won't be there to share it with you? ;)

My heart fluttered at his words, knowing I agreed with him. I really wish he could be here beside me. I locked my phone and sat beside Oliver, giving him my full attention.