Five

Stuart

"Charlie, what's going on? Why are you so quiet. It's been like this since you came back from that secret meeting or whatever." I sighed, debating whether I should tell Sienna about my problems or not. Her insistence was tiring, a terrible reminder of the subject I was trying to avoid.

Someone knew about my past with Harry, and I couldn't find a single plausible explanation for how that happened. Maybe someone had kept a secret journal, one of my ladies, and it got on the wrong hands. Or maybe someone has been alive for almost four hundred years, just like you, my subconscious reminded me. That thought sent unpleasant chills down my spine, mainly because I was in disadvantage, when clearly someone knew about all my steps.

"See?" Sienna exploded, waving her manicured hands at me, annoyed. "This is what I am talking about. You zone out and act like a zombie every time I ask what is wrong." I looked down at my plate, still full of food. The only thing I could swallow was tea.

"I'm sorry, I really am. It's just a very old story, and sometimes, when I think about it, it breaks my heart all over again." I admitted, watching Sienna's eyes softening.

"Then why do you cling to those memories? A couple days ago a nice, good looking guy was shamelessly hitting on you and you said no." I almost wanted to laugh at the irony of her words, but my fright was bigger than the desire to curve my lips upwards. "Maybe you can take baby steps, but Harry is certainly a nice start." She smiled, trying to encourage me.

"Okay, Sienna. Now we really should get going. I don't wanna be late for professor Donovan's class." She rolled her eyes, clearly noticing the way I was dodging difficult subjects. Picking up an apple and getting down of the kitchen stool, I made my way towards the living room, waiting for Arthur to pick us.

"Why are you so infatuated with him? I swear to God everyone thinks he's cheating on the wife with you." I chuckled, fully aware of the rumours. At least they were far away from the truth. A professor student scandal was not a big deal if compared to a woman who didn't die.

"Well, he is good looking and nice, but definitely not my type. A cheating scandal is better than the truth though." Sienna nodded, and walked around me, picking up her bag and looking like a model, as per usual.

"Why do you always look so good?" I mused aloud, looking at her nicely done hair and make up. She was one of those people who always made an extra effort, no matter where we were going. I admired that about her, the ability to be so uplifting all the time.

"Shut up Charlotte. You've had this gorgeous skin and killer body for three hundred years. I will die and you'll still be around. So, shut up." I rolled my eyes but stopped our banter once I heard Arthur honking outside.

"Come on, Charlotte. Move this centenary ass." Sienna spoke, slapping my bum on the way out of the house. For a brief second I smiled, forgetting the threatening note for a small moment of bliss.

+

"Always a pleasure to see you, Charlotte." Miles spoke. There were only a few people lingering around since I had arrived earlier than intended. However, we still received judgmental looks from a couple girls. Interpreting their facial expressions, someone might've said Miles and I were all over each other instead of just sharing a pleasant phrase.

"How is Sarah?" I asked him, trying to make small talk. He smiled so brightly it made me jealous, the way a man could be completely devoted and infatuated. I had had that type of affection before, but it was nowadays incompatible with my life.

"She's at work. Today is our three year anniversary." He spoke with pride on his tone. I smiled too, pleased to witnessed what true love looked like.