Fifteen

Stuart

"How was your first fitting?" Sienna enquired me. I smiled mischievously at her. I knew it was driving her mad not knowing a thing about my dress to the ball. I wanted to surprise them; for the first year in a long time, I decided I'd go all out. Sienna sensed my excitement and it irritated her knowing I was being secretive.

"You'll see it when I arrive at the ball." I told her, adjusting the files we had been working on. I stashed the big folders inside the safe we kept, sighing. As promised, Miles had been busy, searching every small detail about Nostradamus' life. We hadn't reached our goal yet, but the files were vast and thorough, keeping me, Professor Donovan, Sienna and Arthur busy.

"At least tell me the designer, Char. I am literally dying here." She seemed distressed, but not in a bad way. Sienna helped me with the papers and finished adjusting the large desk we had been using as a work place. I watched her, placing a large vase of roses there, giving the room a personal touch, just as her mum always did.

"Tell you so you can call the studio pretending to be me and somehow see the dress? You act as if I don't know you, Sienna." She blushed, fully aware my accusations portrayed exactly what she'd do.

"Guilty as charged, but I am so curious. I've never seen you so secretive about this. I'm expecting innovation, some lady gaga in 2010 innovation. You are the guest of honour after all." I nodded, thinking about the white gown. It really reminded me of something I would've used in royal balls, and I felt powerful in it.

"Trust me, Vogue will do a two page piece on this dress once the event ends." She squeaked at my words, making me laugh. Despite the heaviness of my reality, I enjoyed this small banter between us, healthy sister banter. I would never admit it, but she was my favourite allege sibling in at least a hundred years or so. I was grateful beyond words for the endless protection I had received, but Sienna and I had an undeniable bond, something that went beyond her familiar duty of protecting my secret. 

"Hey, now we should really get to class. All the important stuff is safe, so I guess we can leave." After Harry's attack we were taking plenty of precaution. I visited him in very unusual hours, wearing ridiculous attires, completely unlike me. The threatening notes and important research items were stashed inside a safe. Harry's 17th century painting inside a vault in our basement. Despite the lack of contact, I still felt watched and terrified. I knew that once I slipped, once I did one small thing that displeased our stalker something bad would happen to Harry.

"You drive today, I have to go out with mum after class." I nodded, typing in the security code of our house and closing the door behind us, unlocking the car quickly.

-

I was in a good mood, enjoying the way my new thigh high boots looked as I walked. I felt peaceful, knowing Harry would be out of the hospital in a couple days. He still had plenty of recovery to go through, but I was ecstatic just knowing he was alive. Obviously, the cheerful mood would soon be replaced with grim, once I figured out a way of telling him that my daily visits, our stolen kisses and the endless hours of conversation we shared at the hospital meant nothing, they couldn't, not unless he wanted to graduate, to live life to its fullest.

In that moment I felt rather alone, seeking a friend, much like Eleanor I realised, that would listen to me, someone who would give me advice about boy drama and encourage me through the insecurities. Obviously, I couldn't make many friends, considering I would attend their funerals, sooner or later. At first I tried; I tried to create bonds with people that I encountered through the years, but seeing them living their life, forming families, they were leaving legacies behind, while I felt like an outsider, always around, but never belonging.