Twenty one

Stuart

I was cheerful in a way that could annoy people, myself included. The happiness I felt definitely had something to do with Harry and the way he made me feel special, alive, wanted. I felt a bit embarrassed about going to college wearing the same clothes, but he assured me no one would know, and if they did they wouldn't care. Sienna and Arthur were going wild on our group chat, enquiring me about every single detail of the night I had, but I didn't want to share too much, not yet.

I hardly payed attention to class, thinking about Harry and the way he slept, or about his lips against mine in the morning. Every small discovery made my heart ache a bit more for him. Concentrating was difficult when all I could smell was his shampoo on my hair from the shower we had shared that morning.

"Sienna, I'm home." I announced, knowing she'd be there too. Even if she had previous engagements, I knew she'd cancel them to hear about my story. I took off my shoes and coat, dumping my bag on the couch and quickly typing the security code one more time.

"Lover boy was quick, there are some flowers for you here in the kitchen." I smiled at that, wondering when Harry had had the time to order those, although I would not complain about it. Sienna was rummaging through the fridge and sure enough there was a large bouquet of pink peonies atop the large marble counter. The shade reminded me of a garden I used to have in my palace, filled with those beautiful flowers.

I picked up the card, noticing it was somewhat heavy, probably carrying more than just one thing. My name was printed on the outside of the fancy paper, and I smiled at the thoughtfulness of his gesture. Harry really went all out.

"He's a fancy one, I'll give him that. Peonies this time of the year? They must've costed a small fortune. Open the card already, let's see if he also bought you some plane tickets to a Caribbean island." She teased, taking a seat beside me. I carefully opened it, retrieving all the contents inside the envelope.

All my happiness and peace of mind ended the minute I saw the note and the three small pictures that came along with it. One of me walking out of his house, our hands entwined and our eyes crossing paths, we looked incredibly happy. The second one happened mere seconds after the first, Harry had stolen a small kiss before getting into his car. My entire body was cold, my fingers barely holding the pictures because of how much they shook. I was afraid of looking at the third picture, but what I saw surpassed my biggest fears. A close image, me on top of Harry, naked, my boobs on full display, my face contorted in pleasure.

I felt violated, disgusted and insecure. Someone had been watching us, someone had planted cameras inside his fucking bedroom for Christ's sake. I was too numb to cry or make noises, wondering how long it'd take before Sienna ripped off the papers from my hands and realised what was going on. I picked the note and read it, the words becoming alive and frightening me.

Strike three, Charlotte. I no longer want to play. If he shows up anywhere with you, I will kill him. If not, I'll see you in a few weeks. Save me a dance at that ball.

Don't do anything stupid or you'll have a very intimate video released online.

"Charlie, what is going on?" Sienna spoke, shaking me a bit. I realised I was crying copiously, terrified of even breathing. I couldn't answer her with words, so I just slid the papers and saw her eyes widening. She mirrored my shocked expression but her eyes were condescending, pitying me. I hated the way she looked at me. I could handle her desire to be there for me, her soothing gestures, anything but pity. If Sienna pitied me, I felt like a loser, as if Gaston had already won.

"I had no idea how sick this man was. Charlie, we need to go to the police with this." I shook my head, dismissing her idea immediately. By the time we reached the station Gaston would definitely have Harry as his hostage or worse. I was paranoid, looking around as if he'd jump in on us, or as if he'd also installed cameras in our living room. I knew that wasn't the case, our security team had assured me.