Nineteen

Stuart

"I have had my fair share of surprising experiences, but having lunch in your house definitely is making it to the top ten." Miles spoke, looking around as if he'd find some royals lingering around, perhaps planning a ball or a war. During our friendship, I had never invited him over, worried it'd be a boundary I wasn't entirely ready to push. After my dinner with Oliver, however, I needed to cast those stupid fears aside and do some actual planning.

"It just made sense. We have a lot to plan and sneaking around in old libraries wouldn't cut it this time." He nodded, picking up a folder and handing it to me.

"These are a few respectable museums, with large collections on display and some impressive items that aren't usually available for the public. I took the liberty of contacting some acquaintances and they are willing to do some digging through their catalogues, send me pictures of the old blades." I nodded, feeling relieved but also knowing we were searching a needle in the haystack. I was a patient person, I had to learn how to be one, but time was against us.

"If some of these people need any kind of incentive, that won't be an issue. I am committed to give them all resources they might need." He nodded, understanding my words. I was no fool; I knew favours usually involved some kind of monetary transaction, and I would blame myself forever if Miles payed people behind my back. That was definitely something he'd do considering how his pride could get in the way at times.

"I'll keep that in mind." He nodded, giving me a puzzled look once I just fiddled with my fingers instead of saying anything else.

"What is wrong?" he questioned.

"What isn't, honestly?" I shrugged; feeling defeated all of a sudden. "What are really the odds of us finding this fucking blade in a nearby museum? For all I know this shit could be in China or something. I am honestly exhausted of this goose chase, sometimes I even think it'd be best if I just left and went on with my life without putting this much faith into something just to watch my heart break again." He picked my hand and squeezed, his larger fingers applying some sympathetically comforting pressure.

"I don't know the odds and I don't want to know. You're a survivor, Charlotte. If this plan doesn't work, we'll come up with another, and another, and another, until we find that damned object. You finally have purpose, something that will guarantee your freedom, don't lose sight of the final goal." His eyes glinted with determination, making me feel less pessimist.

"Thank you for all you've done for me through these years. I honestly don't know what I'd do if you weren't my friend, Miles." My statement was incredibly truthful. Miles always went beyond anything a normal person would, just for me. Sometimes I wondered what I had done to deserve someone as loyal as him, but I honestly didn't care, as long as our friendship continued to grow. I thought of him as my personal miracle, something the ruling powers of this world sent me to subdue a bit of the undeniable agony of living forever.

"Friends do these things for each other. You're very special, Charlotte. Not special because you don't age, but because you're an amazing person. Never forget that." His words made me smile and I felt my eyes slightly watery, gratitude filling my body. I really didn't deserve someone so understanding and available.

"Do you think it'd help your search if I drew a small sketch of my old blade? I think I can do something seemingly decent." He nodded eagerly, dropping my hand and picking up the papers atop my kitchen counter.

"Definitely. You can give it to me tomorrow, I'll be in my office all day."

"Miles, what if we don't find this blade through your sources?" I questioned, feeling antsy. I looked around the room, the black tiles reflecting the soft light. I was intently staring into distance as if some magical answer or insight would pop in my mind. It never did, but an unpleasant idea formed itself.