Eight

Stuart

"Good morning, Charlotte. Sorry for making you come here so early. We really need to talk." Miles looked at me with pity, and I for once, agreed with him. I hadn't slept at all after I received that note, and I couldn't even pretend I was feeling okay.

Harry was endangered, and tonight I would have to meet him and make sure he understood I would never cross the friendship line with him. Maybe we couldn't even be friends at all. I was drawn to him and what he represented, I probably would never see past his similarities with my Harry.

"Hey. Any news?" I spoke, taking a seat and accepting his cup of coffee. I had a long day ahead of me, not to mention Sienna once I got back home. She would have questions, asking about things I couldn't clarify, probably ready to start with my early departure without telling her.

"I found him. Nineteenth century, Harry Styles, born in London. Look at these photos I found." He handed me two low quality shots, but I would recognise Harry anywhere, anytime. I looked at him with an unpleasant feeling churning inside me.

"What happened to him? Which year was this taken?" I enquired, trying to find a padrone or anything that would help us solve these mysteries. I wanted to understand why Harry kept coming back.

The nineteenth century had been particularly hurtful and boring. I really didn't like to go back, especially to that particular year when death knocked on my door. I thought I would die and I embraced it, but maybe fate had other hurtful plans in store for me.

"He died, Charlotte. 1897." I gasped, shaking my head in disbelief. If I had any tears left, I would've cried. 1897 had been a distinct year during an indistinct century. I still shook with fear at the thought of what had happened.

"You paled, Charlotte. What happened? Does it ring a bell?" Miles could barely conceal his excitement, although I knew he felt bad too. Four centuries could be quite a burden, especially if I focused on the bad memories.

"It does. It rings a terrible bell and I am not particularly fond of sharing that memory with you." I retorted, feeling bad for snapping at someone who was always willing to help me, mostly based on his blind faith and love for history. "I'm sorry I snapped. It's just a very hurtful memory." I said, feeling calmer although still saddened.

"You know I don't blame you. I could never understand what you've been through, so I try to keep my mind open." He dismissed my apology and my rudeness, always proving himself as the nicest professor to ever exist. "On the other hand, I really think you shouldn't nourish this friendship between you and this century's Harry. The kid thinks you're into him."

"No he doesn't." I defended myself. If he was just looking for a quick fling, it would make my life a lot easier. Things never ended well when feelings were added into the mix. Maybe I'd be luck enough to meet a Harry that just used his charm to get into panties and then leave.

"He does. Then again, he looks at you with too much devotion for a twenty one year old who's only looking for sex." Miles gave me a one sided smile, probably trying to ease the awkward tension that seeped through our interaction. "My point is, don't insist on it. He deserves to live a normal and healthy life, Charlotte. Even you have to admit that living forever and falling in love with men who look exactly alike is not normal."

I shouldn't have taken his words as a personal offence, but I did nevertheless. I didn't like when people threw in my face the condition I was in. I knew I would never be able to be with the current Harry, but it still stung, hearing another person saying aloud, voicing my biggest fears and indirectly mocking me for being so naïve.

"Thank you for the research. I don't know what I would do without you." I said with sincerity, trying to end the conversation. It was certainly too early to discuss such intense topics. I barely had the time to drink my own tea before answering Miles' call.