Twenty six

Styles

I was naturally a trusting person. I had had my fair share of breakups with girls I mildly liked. I was born and raised in a loving family by parents that provided me all I needed and more. I perceived myself as a good man, someone worthy. I had all those things, I lived a good life but sometimes I felt like something was missing, like I never connected with people for real.

Things changed when I met Charlotte. She was not what I expected. I had seen her in class before, always with the blonde girl which I came to know as Sienna, her sister and Niall's new girlfriend. I had judged them both as snobby and entitled, but after the party in my house I couldn't help but want to know more about her. I shamefully asked around about her, stalked her sister and brother on social media until I realised how creepy the whole thing was. Charlotte soon became Charlie, which somehow managed to make me even more curious about what she'd do next, about what she was thinking.

At first, I felt as if she saw someone else while looking into my eyes, but every conversation we had seemed to take down the barriers. The first time I ever considered the word love I was laying on her lawn, my blood soaking her hands and clothes; the thought came and went fast, the only permanent memory of that day the sight of her pink fuzzy socks. She brought out things in me I wasn't entirely sure I had, Charlotte made me see I was not shallow.

I found myself craving her company almost as much as an addict would crave their preferred drug. I was never satisfied with the doses I got, always wanting a bigger one the next time. Charlie visited and touched the depths of me; she evoked deep feelings but also deep insecurities. I had always been a truthful child, which caused major fights between my sister and me. That particular trait never subdued; I wanted people to be honest with me because I was always honest with them.

She was lying, bluntly lying and pretending I wasn't smart enough to understand what was going on. However, the worst part about the entire situation was that I did not understand what was going on. Her actions contradicted her words, but aside from that I could also sense she was not telling me the entire truth. Her stories were believable, I saw in her eyes they weren't a fabricated tale, but they weren't the entire reality. Sometimes I could've sworn I saw fear in her eyes, especially the day she saw doctor Cavendish at the hospital. It all came back to him. The thought of him and Charlie in a romantic trip to Scotland or wherever the hell they were bothered me more than it should have.

Things were supposed to be plain and simple. I should break up with her and get rid of the fucked up relationship we were in before she had the chance to break my heart another time. The worst part about the mess I was in definitely had to do with the pain I felt whenever I considered leaving her. That was precisely the reason why I never left the comfort zone; going into deeper waters meant deeper wounds.

"Are you entirely sure the whole family went with them, Niall?" I asked him for the third time. He rolled his eyes and nodded once again, scrolling through his phone in disinterest.

"Yes, Harry. Sienna has been sending me all these pics of her sightseeing or whatever. They're not lying." If the roles were reversed I would be annoyed at him too, but I was too restless to consider his feelings.

"Then why would they bring doctor Cavendish along?" Niall shrugged, not particularly interested. I knew he was angry at me for giving up on our fifa game, but I had been keeping these things inside for too long.

"I don't know. Isn't Sean friends with him? Maybe you can ask." I shook my head, knowing that Sean would never talk to me about Oliver, not after seeing Charlotte and him kissing. He knew there was some sort of love triangle going on and he definitely wouldn't want anything to do with it.