1.14

_

Belle hadn't slept since she got back home. she tried to but couldn't, the image of JJ's bike crashing kept replaying in her head over and over. she had been so close to losing him twice now. she was sitting on the docks by her and John B's house looking out at the water in silence. the only sound that was heard was the HMS Pogue rocking side to side.

she sniffled checking the time on her phone when she heard footsteps approaching. she turned her head seeing her uncle. Lucas gave his niece a gentle smile before sitting down next to her swinging his legs back and forth on the dock.

"Zale told me what happened." he says.

"which part?" she asked hugging her legs.

"all of it. JJ and the bike, the cross being a fake."

"i thought i lost him this time." she whispered looking at her uncle, "like actually lost him."

"you didn't, Bells," Lucas moved closer to her wrapping his arm around her shoulder, "you didn't. it's okay to be scared and mad at him. but if he didn't get you onto the truck something could've happened to the both of you. he thought of you first."

Belle wanted to say her uncle was wrong but everything he said was right. JJ always made sure Belle or his friends were safe. he took the blame for Pope during the summer, he broke up with Belle just to keep her safe, he pushed her away that day on the ship where he fell in the water.

JJ always did everything for his friends and the girl he loves. they're his family.

"is he here?" she asked.

Lucas nodded kissing the top of her head, "he's waiting in your room."

Belle thanked her uncle giving him a hug and stood up walking back to the house. her eyes moved to the chateau which was dark inside. she wondered where John B and Big John wandered off too. Sarah went to stay with Kiara for the night so she knew the blonde was safe and not alone.

approaching the back door, Belle quietly opened and closed it walking to her room where she saw JJ sitting on her desk cleaning up the scrapes he had on his arm. Belle gently closed the door making him look up.

"can i help?"

JJ nodded handing her the gauze as she approached, she took the gauze and his arm carefully tapping the scratches on his arm.

"i'm sorry," he said after a few minutes of silence, "i know it wasn't that smart but i had to do something."

Belle looked at him grabbing a band aid, "i know. just maybe next time- actually i don't want a next time just be more careful."

"promise." his arms found their way around her waist pulling her towards him.

"you scared the shit out of me." she leaned towards him holding his face in her hands.

JJ nodded rubbing his thumb up and down her waist, "i know, i'm sorry."

"do that again and you're not allowed to get another bike."

"yes ma'am." he nodded making Belle laugh wrapping her arms around his neck.

JJ's arms found their way around her waist hugging her tightly, his lips meet her cheek planting multiple kisses on it making her smile.

__

"look at you, big man! look at you!" Big John smiled at Pope hugging him tightly.

Belle laughed running over to the man who smiled at the girl, "now are you the same Belle that lived next to me her whole life?" Big John pointed at her.

"hi!" she laughed hugging him tightly, Big John hugged her tightly moving side to side.

"Big John!" Zale yelled running over jumping onto the man once Belle moved away from the hug.

"look at you!" he laughed catching the boy patting his back.

"my turn!" JJ screamed jumping onto Big John's back.

Belle laughed watching the two spin around in circles, she felt a nudge behind her making her turn around seeing John B holding multiple cans of beer. she smiled taking a few to help him out handing them out.

after JJ had gotten off Big John everyone surrounded John B and his father to hear about the news they had to say.

"yeah, yeah, so we, um.. we went to the archives in Charleston, and uh..  it was.. it was a dead end. a dry hole. so.." John B says, everybody sat in silence looking at each other.

"so that's the gold, the cross, and now El Dorado. we're three-for-three guys." Pope threw what he was holding in frustration scoffing, "the streak continues. that's great."

Kiara frowned at her friend starting to walk away, "see you, John B."

"i'm going fishing. thanks for the beer." JJ stood up holding his hand out for Belle to take.

she looked at John B giving him and his father a small smile taking JJ's hand as the couple walked away.

Belle wrapped her free hand around his arm resting her head against his arm as they walked towards the docks in silence. neither of them knew what to say about the news they heard. all the Pogues were disappointed, after everything they've been through it was all gone in a matter of seconds.

"i'll be right back." Belle stopped seeing Kiara make her way to her car.

JJ nodded grabbing the fishing stuff as Belle rushed over to Kiara, "Kie?"

"hey beautiful." the curly haired girl turned around smiling at her friend.

"um.. this fell out of JJ's pocket last night." Belle reached into her pocket handing the girl her father's money clip.

Kiara's smile faded, "shit."

"i'm so sorry, Kie."

"my dad is gonna be pissed." the girl leaned against her car.

"i tried talking to him but he just shut down and the cops were coming so i haven't been able to talk to him more about it-"

"it's okay, Bells. i'll talk to him when i get a chance. i know it's been a bit intense since we all got back." Kie says, Belle nodded rubbing her arm.

"just a little."

"thank you for this, i should go explain it to my parents."

"let me know how it goes. i'll call you later tonight." the dark haired girl says, Kiara just smiled nodding giving her a hug.

the girls said their goodbyes as Belle made her way towards JJ who was waiting for her at her house with his fishing rod. once she got as close to him he lifted his arm wrapping it around her shoulder planting a kiss on her cheek.