Chapter 28

A hand moves over my head and I open my eyes slowly. This time, the hand moves gently over my scalp, and I almost close my eyes with a sigh.

"Are you up?"

My head turns to my right and I find Xander sitting besides me. His hand is on my head. Did he really stayed with me all this while?

"You didn't leave for work", my voice is a mumble.

"No, get up", he replies and stands up. "You have to eat"

"I am not hungry", my eyes start fluttering close again.

All at once, I feel a hand under my knees and back. My eyes fly open as I am lifted in the air and into his arms. "What are you doing?"

"You have to eat and then you can sleep again", he states, already walking us out of the room.

"Put me down", I start struggling. "I said that I am not hungry"

"And I said you will eat", he tightens his hold on me.

"Why do you even care now?", I sigh.

He ignores my question and places me on the couch. He reheats a plate of food and bring it to me.

"Eat Ayla"

This time, he sits besides me. Our knees are touching and he doesn't establishes distance between us. So, I move a few inches back. I place my feet up and notice that he keeps staring at me.

"What's your deal Xander?", I demand. "Why are you even here right now? Don't you have your work to do?"

"Eat Ayla", he repeats calmly.

His words and face's expression take me aback. He looks concern for me. I have a feeling if I insist on not eating, he will argue or perhaps feeds me like last time.

"Stop pitying me", I say and pick up the plate to start eating.

"I am not pitying you", he claims with a look of satisfaction.

"You are", I persist. "I can look after myself. You don't have to stay with me. Just leave"

I give him a glance and he just leans back, completely disregarding my words. There's something wrong with him. This can't be Xander Grey. He is being too attentive and caring.

"How's your head?", he asks after a while.

"Shut up Xander", I roll my eyes and keep eating.

He lifts his hand and moves my hair away from my forehead. My face instantly scrunches up and I lean my head back from his touch.

"What is wrong with you?", I ask, confuse. "Why are you doing all this? I get it nobody cares enough for me like you previously said, but you don't have to do this. I am okay"

Remorse flashes in his eyes. "I didn't mean it"

"Yeah right", I drawl and keep eating. "You really don't have to do this because you'll just throw it back on my face with some fucked up words. I am good for now"

This time, he doesn't say anything but I can feel his eyes on me. I just ignore him and keep on eating. From time to time, I keep throwing glances at him to make sure that he understands that I am annoyed by his presence.

I am still getting over Meredith's death news and on top of that, I have to get his mother's ring back. I have to get it back and my mind is racing with all the possibilities.

When I am done eating, I return back in my room and luckily Xander does not follows me. He finally got the message that I want to be alone. His guilt is making him hovering around me but the funniest part is that, I really don't give a fuck about this wound. Because I am going to retaliate back. Like always.