Chapter 1

I breathed a heavy sigh as the car came to a stop. My mum insisted on driving me to school today, she wanted to talk, it was painfully obvious. Her guise of wanting to spend a bit of time with me was always followed by some kind of serious talk.  Rolling my eyes, I turned to stare out the window, already bored I breathed onto the glass and playfully drew a love heart with my finger.

Everly, don't do that", she scolded. "You know I hate the marks it leaves on the glass".

Sighing again, I rubbed away my art with my sleeve and glanced at the school entrance. A blur of messy black hair caught my eye and I immediately recognised who it belonged to. His raven locks were unmistakable. As if sensing my gaze, he turned and our eyes met briefly before I quickly looked away.

"Everly", my mum's voice sounded softer this time, filled with concern. "Is everything okay? You can talk to me, I just—"

I held up my hand, cutting her off. I couldn't handle another conversation about how I was feeling. Was I fine? No. Would I be fine eventually? Yes. But not until this last year of Sixth Form was over. Putting on a fake smile, I reassured her.

"I'm fine, please stop worrying. It's exhausting". My forced laugh fell flat between us.

Meeting her gaze again, guilt washed over me for not just being happy. Her eyes were dark and even though her makeup was always flawless, she looked tired. In an attempt to console me, she placed her perfectly manicured hand over mine and gave a slight squeeze. It provided some comfort in that moment and I managed a small smile.

"Please don't worry anymore, I'm fine", I reassured her.

She nodded and smiled tentatively at me.

"Your father wanted to know if you fancied spending this weekend with him and Vicky", she said hopefully.

She paused, waiting for my answer, but she already knew what it would be. I bit my bottom lip and unbuckled my seatbelt.

"Tell him another time. I have too much schoolwork to do at the moment", I said dismissively.

Sensing my imminent escape she reached over and gently grabbed my arm. "You know he really misses you".

And that was all it took. I yanked my arm back from her grasp and unlocked the door without even looking at her.

"Another time, mum", I said before quickly making my escape.

She nodded, not daring to push the subject any further. Grabbing my backpack from the backseat, I gave her a weak wave and trudged towards the school entrance.

At the end of the hallway stood Mr Cater, giving a lecture to myself and a few other students who had arrived just seconds late. He berated us as if we had missed half the school day.

"Miss King! Hurry up! This is the second time you've been late this week!" he scolded, crossing his arms and tapping his watch. "Mr Lopez, this corridor is not a football pitch! Pick it up or lose it!" His voice boomed down the hall as he turned his attention to another student. "Miss Callaghan, that is not appropriate school attire! My office now!"

Relieved that he had moved on to his next targets, I picked up my pace. I was really trying - my grades had improved, even if my mood hadn't.

But suddenly, without looking where I was going, I collided into something hard. The impact sent me tumbling backwards, but luckily my backpack softened my fall.

"Hey, watch where you're—" I began before freezing in shock.

As I followed the outstretched arm up to the person it belonged to, a lump instantly formed in my throat.