Chapter 7

Her face fell when she noticed me looking at her glass. "I hate that you see me having a casual glass of wine as a sign of a bad day", she said, before taking a sip and setting it down on the table.

I shrugged and made my way towards my room, eager to escape. But my mother followed me, concern etched on her face. "Why are you home so late? And was that Owen's car I saw?" she asked, watching me carefully.

I rolled my eyes and placed my hand on my hip. "You were watching us?" I questioned.

"I was just worried. You were supposed to be home from school over an hour ago", she explained.

"Fine", I replied, not wanting to argue. "Yes, that was Owen's car. He gave me a lift home".

A small smile appeared on her lips. "I'm glad you're talking again. Have you spoken to Charlotte?"

I turned away from her, avoiding eye contact. "Not yet, but she invited me over this weekend".

"That's wonderful news. You and Charlotte used to be inseparable", she said softly before lowering her voice. "Lately, you've been withdrawn. You quit dance and stopped spending time with your friends. Your father and I are worried"

My tone turned cold as I cut her off. "So now you and dad are best friends again? Have you forgotten that he abandoned us?"

My mum tried to soothe me. "He abandoned me, Everly. Not you. You know he adores you".

"Hmm, right, okay well nice chat, I snarked as I brushed past her and began walking up the stairs. She tried to protest, but I was already halfway up.

I collapsed onto my bed and curled up under the covers. I wanted to cry, but I held it back. Just as I was about to drift off, my phone lit up with a message. It was Charlotte. I instantly sat up. Blinking away my tiredness, I opened the message.

Hey, I just wanted to say I'm sorry for what Amelia and Cassie said.

I quickly typed back.

It's okay. Amelia and Cassie have always been like this. The only difference now is that I'm on the receiving end.

I saw the three dots indicating she was typing a response, but then they disappeared. Was that all she wanted to say? I debated sending another message when another one popped up.

I should have put a stop to their rumours sooner. You know no one believes that you're having an affair with a teacher, right?

I let out a humourless laugh at her words.

Actually, the latest is I'm pregnant and Owen is the dad.

Wow! Those two are vile, I don't know if I even want them in on the team anymore!

Leave it Charlotte, I never saw them as true friends anyway. I'm sorry I left you high and dry. There's something going on, and while it's not an excuse, it's just been a lot for me.

I waited anxiously for her response, relieved when she finally replied.

It's water under the bridge, I've missed you Everly and whatever is going on you know the three of us are here for you. Please say you're coming to mine on Saturday.

I hesitated for a moment, but then made a decision. This was my chance to make things right with them.

I'll be there, I texted back before locking my phone and sinking back down onto my bed.

But sleep eluded me. My mind was racing, and I knew it was going to be a long night.

As the morning sun streamed through my open blinds, I groaned and pulled the covers over my head. But my mother burst into my room, making as much noise as possible to wake me up.

"Come on, get up! You'll be late for school, and you know how Mr Carter is", she said, clapping her hands and pulling back the covers.

I mumbled; my voice croaky from lack of sleep. "Can't I have five more minutes? I'm so tired".

"No", she replied simply, reaching for the covers and pulling them off the bed.

A cold chill washed over me, and I shivered. "You're mean", I grumbled.

"And you're going to be late if you don't get up now", she stated firmly. "Now go get ready".

I rolled over kicking out and screaming softly into my pillow. I wanted nothing more than to sleep this day away, but she was right. I couldn't so I dragged my feet towards the bathroom and began to piece myself together. The mirror reflected back at me, revealing tired eyes surrounded by dark circles. In an attempt to mask my fatigue, I reached for my makeup bag and applied a light layer of concealer under my eyes. It may not have been enough to completely hide the evidence of a sleepless night, but it would have to do for now.