Chapter 35

My mother's voice was filled with concern and worry as she asked, "Where have you been? I called you hours ago. What is going on with you and your friends? Riley and Owen having a fight doesn't make sense. They've been so close since he moved here".

I took a deep breath before replying, "There's something you don't know, mum. I need to speak to you and dad tomorrow". I could see the upset on her face.

"Everly, you're worrying me. Is it something bad?"

With a heavy sigh, I admitted, "I'm not going to lie, yes. But I don't want to talk about it now. It's been a long day and I'm going to bed. Please just tell dad to be here when I'm back from school".

"Okay", she replied, her concern evident in her voice. I retreated to my room, emotionally exhausted from the events of the day. As I laid in bed trying to calm my thoughts, a text came through from Owen.

Don't be mad at me, King, it read, accompanied by a begging face meme.

I wrote out a reply debating whether to send it, eventually pressing send.

Owen, I appreciate everything you've done for me, and I know you want to protect me from getting hurt, but sometimes the person who hurts me is you.

He tried calling me right after sending the message, but I ignored it. Cassie's words about always being second best continued to echo in my head.

The next morning, my mum gave me a lift to school, and I could tell she was curious about what I wanted to speak to them about later. But I kept tight-lipped; both my parents needed to be present for this conversation.

As I got out of the car, my mum called after me, "Everly, this talk...is it about you being intimate with either Owen or Riley? Because—"

"No!" I cut her off, exasperated. "Oh my God, don't say another word. No, it does not involve anything like that. Why would I even tell you and dad about something like that? Not that that's the case at all, but wow mum".

"I was just asking" she protested, "It's just two close friends getting into a fight, a lot of the time it's something to do with a girl".

She wasn't entirely wrong; the fight was over me, but not in the way she thought. I quickly shut the car door and walked away before she could say anything else.

Joining the crowd of students heading towards the entrance, someone stepped in line beside me. I turned to see Elliot, feeling slightly awkward.

"Hey, how are you?" I said.

His eyes searched mine as he said urgently, "Everly, can you just stop for a minute please?"

I paused, adjusting my backpack, "what's up?" attempting to sound casual like I wasn't all over him last time we were together.

"You didn't call me after the party... I guess it doesn't matter, since you're with Owen now".

"Not exactly", I said, and he instantly perked up. I had to shut this down in the nicest possible way. "Sorry I didn't call you after the party", I began honestly (I didn't even remember taking his number). "I was so drunk and acting out of jealousy and immaturity about a situation that hurt me. You're a great guy, Elliot, but I think we should just be friends".

I could see the disappointment on his face, but he remained pleasant as ever as he responded, "I'd like that". He gestured for a hug, and I obliged.

"Well, isn't this cosy" I heard Owen's voice from behind me.

Elliot's eyes grew wide. He'd no doubt seen or heard about the fight and clearly did not want to get on Owens' bad side.

"I don't want to be late, bye Everly". I'd never seen someone walk so quickly without actually breaking out into a run.

He spoke to me with an abrupt and annoyed tone. "I called you last night".

"I know, I was tired", I replied. As I began to walk towards the entrance, he suddenly seized my shoulder, causing me to stumble slightly.

"Where are you going? I'm talking to you, and you're just walking off", he demanded.

"What did you tell me the other day? Oh yeah, I have nothing to say to you, and you have nothing to say that I want to hear", I shot back with a snarky tone.

"Don't be childish, Everly" he sneered.

"I'm not", I insisted, tired of this constant back and forth between us. "I was wrong, you were right all along". He eyed me suspiciously like he couldn't believe I was admitting I was wrong about something.

"Right about what?" he mused.

"That this was a bad idea. We should have just stayed friends. We've never argued like this before, and I hate it. I hate falling out with you", I confessed. "I've decided we need to forget whatever it was we started".