Chapter 29

Tears streamed down my face as I sat with my head in my hands, shaking it back and forth. "I don't want you to hate me", I explained, knowing how close he had been to Riley. "You've been like brothers".

But before I could finish, he lifted my chin up with his strong hands, cupping my face gently. He looked horrified and at the same time there was that kindness in his eyes.

"I could never hate you", he said decisively, but I could tell he was still in shock. The blood drained from his face as he processed everything I had just told him. Then, his expression turned dark and furious as he banged his fist against the dashboard, causing me to jump in surprise.

"That bastard, that sick fucking bastard, he's dead!" Owen exclaimed through gritted teeth.

"Owen, don't", I reached over, lightly brushing my hand against his tense arm.

His eyes narrowed at me. "I'll kill him!" He roared as he slammed his foot down.

He could see the anguish in my face and tried to soothe me, stroking my face and telling me it was going to be okay. "I've got you, King, I'm here".

Then he got scarily calm. After taking a deep breath, he said "I need you to get out of the car". He wasn't even looking at me as his grip tightened around the steering wheel causing the leather to squeak. "We'll speak later, but I need you to get out now". His voice was too steady.

"Why? Where are you going?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Don't worry about it", Owen replied before leaning in to hug me tightly. He left a lingering kiss on my forehead before repeating again, "I need you to get out now".

"Please come inside with me", I begged desperately, tears filling my eyes.

"I can't", Owen's voice cracked with devastation. "Please, just get out of the car".

I reluctantly obliged. I stood there and pleaded with him one more time "don't go there Owen, I'm begging you". He smiled at me, but his eyes betrayed him.

"Okay, I won't", he said trying to disguise his intensions.

He watched me walk back towards the house and as soon as I turned to open the door, I heard the screech of his tyres. I watched as Owen sped off into the night, knowing he was going to do something reckless and dangerous because of me. In a panic, I quickly ordered a taxi to take me to Riley's house, hoping to stop Owen before it was too late.

As we drove, my nerves were on edge and I  chewed on my nails anxiously. When we finally arrived at Riley's street. I practically threw money at the driver and rushed out of the car, running towards his house.

But unfortunately, I was too late. As I rounded the corner, I could see Owen straddled over Riley in a fit of rage, raining down brutal blows onto Riley's face. They landed hard. Riley held his arms up defensively, eventually managing to throw Owen to the side of him. They were pretty matched in stature and muscle, and I knew it'd get bloody. I had to stop it.

In a blind panic, I ran in between two raging guys about to rip each other's heads off. It wasn't a smart move. Owen wasted no time as he jumped on Riley, putting him into a headlock. He hit Riley's face repeatedly whilst Riley was smashing his fists into Owen's ribs and torso. Without thinking, I grabbed Riley by the waist, trying to pull him from Owen's grasp. His grip was too strong.

"Let him go, Owen!" I shouted desperately as I grabbed his arm, trying to pull him away from Riley's neck.

But neither of them acknowledged my presence as they continued their violent brawl. The sound of screeching tyres caught my attention and I turned to see a car pulling up beside us. Suddenly, a familiar voice rang out, full of anger and disbelief.

"Get your hands of my son!" It was Riley's dad.

Riley's dad rushed over to help pry them apart as they grappled. I stood back, feeling helpless and inept. I just wasn't strong enough. Owen drew in his leg as he prepared to strike. With a swift kick, Riley was sent flying backwards, his father struggling to keep both of them from falling. But Riley quickly regained his footing, ready for retaliation. His father stood in front of him protectively, like a shield against the force of Owen's anger. I mirrored his stance with Owen, even though he didn't need my protection and I doubted I could hold him back if he decided to attack Riley again.

Mr O'Connor looked at all three of us with a grave expression, his jaw clenched tightly. "Will one of you please explain to me what is going on here?" He demanded sternly, clearly not amused by the display of violence before him.