Chapter 11

I sat up quickly, frantically smoothing out my clothes as if that could erase what had just occurred. My eyes widened in shock when I realised that Owen had managed to unhook my bra. Shooting him a glare, I noticed his shamefaced expression as he avoided eye contact, looking instead at the floor.

"What the hell is going on here? Why were my two best friends practically having sex in school?!" Charlotte's voice rang out accusatorily, causing me to shrink back in embarrassment.

"We're not in school", I almost whispered weakly, feeling like a scolded child.

Charlotte's hands flew up in frustration as she shook her head. "Oh, sorry guys, I meant to say the car park".

A fierce blush rose to my cheeks. "We weren't having sex", I assured her, feeling like we were being reprimanded by our mother. Sitting there and listening to Charlotte lecture us was excruciating.

I turned to Owen, hoping for some support or explanation, but he offered nothing. He looked like he was still trying to process what had just happened. It seemed he was just as shocked as Charlotte.

As she continued her lecture, my mind tuned out of her words. However, Owen seemed fed up with her tirade and opened the car door before stepping out and leaving it open. One hand rested on the door while the other leaned against the roof of the car.

"Charlie, Charlie, hey", he whistled, effectively halting her ranting.

She wasn't even talking to us anymore; it seemed like she was lecturing herself about consequences and changing the dynamics of our friendship. I had well and truly tuned out.

"Look, this was a mistake", Owen stated firmly, bending down to meet my eyes and silently asking for confirmation.

"Yeah, sure", I muttered dejectedly. Inside, I felt bitterly disappointed. It didn't feel like a mistake to me. Even if nothing ever happened between us again, I needed him in the way he was prepared to give himself to me. I shouldn't have to apologise for that.

before turning his attention back to Charlotte. "She was upset, and we just got caught in the moment. It's never happened before, and it won't happen again".

His words should have been comforting, but they stung instead.

Charlotte eyed us both suspiciously before finally relenting with a strict warning. "Fine, but I'll be taking her home today. You two need some time apart to think about what you did!"

I was feeling irritated at being talked down to like children, but I kept my mouth shut since Owen seemed nonchalant about the whole situation. As he walked away towards school, I couldn't help but feel hurt by his words.

"Charlotte", I whispered softly, trying not to provoke her.

"What?" she snapped, ducking her head down.

"Can you...umm...fasten my bra?" I nervously chewed on my uneven fingernail, knowing she was about to launch into another lecture.

Owen must have realised the same thing because he sighed and came around the car to help. But Charlotte was having none of it; she held out her arm to stop him.

"Oh no, you won't be doing anything else".

Defeated, Owen raised his hands in surrender and handed her the car keys before walking away. "Just lock the car when you're done ladies", he called out over his shoulder.

Pushing me aside roughly so she could get in the passenger seat, Charlotte muttered an apology. "That's the least you deserve", she said with concern lacing her voice. "Everly, what were you thinking?" She turned my back as she fumbled with my bra clasp.

"I think we both know I wasn't thinking", I replied sarcastically.

"Don't sass me; this is serious", she scolded, finally managing to fasten my bra.

"It really isn't", I insisted, repeating Owen's words in my head. "You heard him, it was a mistake, and it won't happen again".

But as soon as the words left my mouth, my heart did a tiny flip-flop at the thought.

Did I want it to happen again? My mind raced with conflicting thoughts.

I wasn't sure, but I wasn't sorry it happened. Even if I said it was a mistake to Charlotte.

After she'd readjusted me, and I'd cleaned my face up we both got out of the car and just looked at each other.

"I'm sorry for acting like a crazy mother earlier", she said sheepishly, her shoe scuffing against the floor as she looked down. "I just panicked". We had finally gotten our relationship back on track, and I didn't want anything to come between us again. The three musketeers, right? Well, four now".

I winced at that last word. Four... Riley. My heart constricted at the thought of him. I knew I had to tell her about him. I couldn't keep pretending everything was okay when it wasn't.

"I know, believe me, it was a shock to us both too", I blurted out before I could lose my nerve. "It just happened. Like Owen said, I was upset".

"About what?" she asked with concern.

I hesitated, memories flooding back as I gathered my courage. "I was upset about Riley". I confessed.