Chapter 2

My eyes swept over his face, lingering on his striking, bright blue eyes. They were kind and warm, but I couldn't stand the way he was looking at me. With a slight swat of my hand, I pushed away his touch. Immediately, I realised how rude that was and apologised as I quickly stood up.

"I'm fine, sorry", I murmured.

I stole glances at his face but could only hold them for a few seconds before looking away. His lips curved into a small smile, and he spoke with a teasing tone.

"No worries, King. I guess all that time in the gym has paid off if you can bounce off me like that".

He crossed his arms over his broad chest and smirked as he observed me curiously, waiting for my reaction. Taking one last look at his face, my eyes darted across his features.

"I have to get to my lesson", I said with a sense of urgency, avoiding his gaze and hurrying off.

But I could feel his eyes on me, and then suddenly I heard quick footsteps behind me. My little legs couldn't keep up with his long strides. Before I knew it, there was a gentle yet firm tug on my arm. I was getting out of breath, but he sounded completely fine. My heart was racing, not just because of my speed walking, but also because I had a feeling he wanted to talk again.

And I was so tired of people doing this.

"Can we talk? This has gone on long enough", he tried to persuade me, his eyes searching for something.

Something that might not even be there anymore.

"I can't right now, I'm already late for my lesson".

His weight shifted slightly, and he clenched his arms tighter around himself. "When will you make time? You've been pushing us away for months. You haven't even spoken to any of us since spring, no explanation, nothing".

He looked visibly frustrated now, his frown deepening as he searched my face for an unspoken answer.

I let out a heavy sigh. "I'm sorry, Owen. I just can't right now. I know you both deserve an explanation, but—"

He abruptly cut me off, holding up his hands in a stopping motion.

"No, Everly", he said harshly, using my first name.

I shuddered slightly. I knew he was serious when he used my first name.

"Something is going on with you. You don't just go from being friends with us to completely cutting us out of your life".

Charlie is devastated, (he always insisted on calling Charlotte Charlie even though we'd told him the most logical nickname would be Lottie). You two were best friends and you just cut her off, quit the team and became some kind of hermit".

I could feel the heat in my cheeks intensifying as he laid into me. I pursed my lips and clenched my teeth, letting him rant on without interruption. But deep down, I wasn't sure how much more I could take.

"Who are you? What's happened to you? You've changed overnight and won't give us any answers. "It's crazy, you're acting crazy", he exclaimed, his tone condescending enough to push me over the edge.

"You know what, Owen? I know I've been a shit friend. I just needed some space", I snapped back at him.

"Space from your friends for months?" His eyebrow arched mockingly.

"Space from everyone!" I exploded, unable to contain my emotions any longer. My outburst caught the attention of Mr Carter who appeared around the corner.

"Miss King and Mr Anderson," he reprimanded us, "you have no reason to be causing a scene in the halls. Detention for both of you".

I opened my mouth to protest but he waved us off and headed back to his office, repeating "detention for both of you".

"Great", I muttered under my breath.

"We should probably get to class", I whispered timidly after our confrontation.

You could cut the tension with a knife, and I could tell he wanted to say something more. But instead, he just turned abruptly and walked away towards his own class. I almost called out to him, but ultimately decided against it and trudged off to my English class. It was going to be a long year, and I knew I couldn't keep avoiding them forever.