Chapter 36

He scoffed "you're kidding me right, so instead of talking about this with me, you're making all the decisions. Oh, I see" he said mockingly, "that's why you're over here hugging Elliot. It makes sense you're letting me down not so gently, so you can be with him".

"That's not —"

He cut off my feeble attempt at an explanation. "No need to deny it. I suggest you go ahead and stock up on the vodka, so kissing him will at least be bearable for you".

I refused to let his barbed comments get to me this time.

"There's nothing going on between me and Elliot", I stated calmly, keeping a tight rein on my emotions. "In fact, I just turned him down. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get to my lesson. And in case you forgot, you're still suspended, so I suggest you leave".

Turning away from him, I regretfully headed towards my class. A part of me wanted to turn back and throw my arms around him, ask him to forget about everything else, but I knew it wouldn't solve anything.

But then he blurted out those four words that caught me completely off guard: "I'm falling for you". His voice trembled with nervousness and excitement.

"What" I said as my brows creased. I slowly pivoted to face him. He shuffled his feet awkwardly, twisting the toe of his shoe into the ground.

"That's not true, I'm not just falling for you...I've already fallen", he corrected himself, a soft smile gracing his features.

He waited for me to respond. My pulse was racing, but I kept a cool façade "why are you only telling me this now?"

I was torn between feeling elated and sceptical. These were the words I wanted to hear from him, but a part of me couldn't shake the feeling that he was only saying it to prevent me from leaving and closing the door on us for good.

He ran his fingers through his tousled black hair nervously. "I don't know. I guess I'm just an idiot. I wasn't even planning on telling you until I saw you with Elliot".

"That's not love, Owen. That's jealousy", I said, my voice gritty.

"No, it's not just jealousy", he protested, his voice tight with emotion. "It's the thought of losing you, of watching you move on with someone else knowing that I let the best thing in my life slip away. Yes, we've been arguing a lot lately, but I don't care. I'll spend every moment afterwards trying to win you back because I want all of you – the good and the bad. I'll take it all if it means we can be together".

I was speechless! His eyes searched mine, showing a vulnerability I'd never seen.

"Please say something", he pleaded, looking daunted.

"I...I don't know what to say", I admitted, at a loss for words. "I never expected this from you...it's a lot to take in". My hand reached out towards his, wanting to take it in mine but hesitating at the last second. "Hearing those words from your lips truly makes my heart flutter. But before we go any further, I need to be absolutely sure that this is really what you want".

"It is, I promise", he assured me before leaning in and kissing me passionately.

His body pressed against mine with urgency. His left hand grasping the back of my neck possessively. I could taste the saltiness of his sweat and the sweetness of his breath. It was a delicious combination that only made me crave him more. His right hand found its place on my hip, pulling me closer to him. I clung to him, our skin melding together, my fingers tracing the edges of his defined muscles.

Owen's lips were still pressed against mine when we heard the pounding of footsteps approaching us. We reluctantly broke apart to see Mr Carter storming towards us with a look of pure contempt on his face. His nostrils flared and his complexion turned a deep shade of beetroot red.

"Mr Anderson, you are not supposed to be on school premises, this smut behaviour will not be tolerated".

"I have to go, King", Owen said quickly, planting a kiss on my cheek before turning on his heel.

"Stop right there, Mr Anderson!" Mr Carter shouted after him.

"You told me not to be here" Owen said smugly, power walking back to his car. Mr Carter was a short, square-built man who was never going to catch up with Owen's long strides with his short stumpy legs.

I was left to face the consequences alone as Mr Carter turned his attention to me. "Miss King, I am deeply disappointed in you. Your academic performance has improved greatly this year, and now I find you breaking school rules like this. Remember, you are judged by the company you keep".

But Owen was the best kind of company, I thought dreamily, replaying our kiss in my mind.

"Miss King! Are you even listening?" Mr Carter scolded, snapping me out of my reverie. "You kids will be the death of me". He sighed and added, "That's another detention for you".

Groaning, I followed him into the school building. It had been a while since I had seen Charlotte, too busy with her dance practices. The thought crossed my mind to join the team again, but it just didn't feel right anymore.

I informed my parents about my detention and waited for my dad to pick me up from school. As I sat reading a message from Charlotte.

I know you'll be nervous to tell your parents. Trust me, when I say this, they will have your back more than anyone. Your dad will especially know what to do next. I'll see you soon. I love you Everly King.

Feeling bolstered by their love, I knew it was time to face my parents and have a difficult conversation.