Chapter 33

The police and parents were called to school and Owen, as the aggressor, was ultimately suspended. Mr O'Connor, the spin doctor, convinced them Riley needed to remain in school.

Great, it was likely I'd be seeing him around.

As I walked through the halls, I could feel the weight of stares and whispered questions directed towards me and Charlotte. One person even had the audacity to ask if the fight was because I was with Riley and he had discovered the baby was Owen's. Thankfully, Charlotte put them in their place. But as for me, I had grown accustomed to such invasive curiosity.

I couldn't help but worry about Owen. I had messaged him as soon as he was escorted off. I'd had no reply, so I figured he was dealing with his parents. I'm sure they were far from thrilled at the suspension, if only they knew he was just defending me.

In art class, I sat at the back, trying to blend into my work and avoid any attention. Miss Levine had already warned that discussing the fight would result in detention. During lunchtime, I convinced Charlotte to eat in the library for some peace and quiet. Owen had also messaged me back, asking to pick me up after school. All I wanted was to see him and make sure he was okay.

As the day dragged on, we seemed to become old news as new rumours swirled around the school. It made me reflect on how I used to be - always caught up in gossip with Cassie and Amelia, probably adding fuel to the fire without even realising it. Now, I felt embarrassed by my past behaviour. I couldn't care less now.

As I headed for the exit after school, Owen was already waiting for me in his car with his usual lopsided grin on his bruised face. My heart clenched at the sight of his injuries - this thing with Riley needed to stop. I couldn't keep hiding behind Owen; it was time for me to take control of the situation.

As I walked over to the car, I sensed someone was behind me. Mr Carter swiftly overtook me and headed straight towards Owen.

"Mr Anderson, you are not supposed to be on school grounds. Leave at once before I call the police".

Owen saluted "as soon as she gets in the car I'm gone".

Mr Carter gave me a sideways glance.

"Go ahead, blame me too, I said with hostility.

He turned to me and said in a condescending tone. "Miss King, I don't want to see you in detention again, but if needs must".

With my thumb and index finger, I touched one side of my mouth, and slid the fingers to the other side, signalling silence.

"Wise move" Mr Carter said as he returned to school.

Once inside the car, I reached out to touch Owen's bruised cheek "so how bad it is?" I asked as we set off.

"Pretty bad" he said casually, "I'm not supposed to be out right now".

I rubbed my eyes in frustration - he needed to stop fighting my battles for me. "You can't keep doing this. You could have been arrested today. I'll handle this, it's my problem since it happened to me".

His face fell at my words, looking more hurt by them than his own injuries. We drove in silence for a few more minutes until he finally spoke up.

"I was just trying to protect you. You mean everything to me, King", he said with sincerity.

I melted.

"And you mean everything to me too", I replied, "which is why I can't stand seeing you getting hurt like this because of me".

He stayed quiet for a moment before making a heartfelt statement. "I'd do it again in a heartbeat".

"You won't have to", I told him firmly, "please take me to the police station. I need to make an overdue statement".

Anxious and restless, I paced back and forth outside the station entrance. My hand hovered over the door handle, but I couldn't bring myself to go in just yet. I had asked Owen to wait in the car, needing this moment to myself. But now, as the reality of what I was about to do set in, my confidence wavered. Without a word, Owen appeared beside me and pulled me into a tight embrace. I could hear his heartbeat, a soothing rhythm that calmed my nerves a little.

I took a deep breath "I'm ready".

He nodded "I'll be right here".

Taking a deep breath, I steeled myself and finally entered the almost empty station. The silence was quickly shattered by the sound of a man shouting as he was taken away in handcuffs. The duty officer, a small, astute man, looked up from his desk and gave me a friendly smile.

"Can I help you?" He asked.

"I need to speak to someone", I replied, my voice shaking slightly. "I need to report an assault".