Chapter 32

Charlotte had sent a text to Owen, telling him to meet us outside his Business Studies class. We hurried down the hall, our footsteps echoing off the walls. As we turned the corner, Owen's eyes immediately fell on Charlotte's puffy, red eyes. She ran over to him, and they embraced tightly, just as she had done with me earlier.

"We'll get through this, Charlie", he said soothingly, but his gaze kept flickering towards me.

Charlotte turned to me, her hand clutching mine tightly. "We have to go to the police. He can't get away with this".

I pulled away from her grip. "It happened so long ago and what evidence do I have? It would just be my word against his".

"But why should that matter?" Owen spoke up.

"Because" I lowered my voice as a few curious students looked our way, "his dad is a big shot with a lot of connections. He would have the best legal team money can buy and who knows if it would even make it to court".

"It would be up to a jury to decide", Charlotte chimed in, trying to give me hope. "And once they hear your story, there's no way they wouldn't believe you".

"I agree", added Owen.

But I felt overwhelmed by the thought of standing in front of strangers and reliving the traumatic event all over again. "I can't", I snapped, taking a step back from them both.

"I can't face all those people and tell them what happened. It took me so long to even open up to you two. I can't leave justice in the hands of strangers. What if he gets away with it? It would all have been for nothing".

They both opened their mouths to argue with me, but I cut them off firmly.

"Don't, please. I just want to forget the whole thing and move on now that I have you two back in my life".

Charlotte gave my hand a gentle squeeze and I looked at Owen, who was now staring intently at something behind me.

I turned around to see Riley standing less than 30 feet away from us. His face was even worse than Owen's. It was badly swollen with purple welts protruding from his cheek and forehead, and his lip was busted and raw. He watched me for a moment before his eyes, cold and sharp, shifted to Owen.

"Don't do it", I said, knowing exactly where this was heading. Owen's chest heaved and his shoulders pulled back as if preparing for a fight. I grabbed his arm, trying to hold him back, and Charlotte did the same.

"Can we just leave?" She begged, but he wasn't listening.

It felt like an endless Mexican stand-off before Owen suddenly broke free from our grasp and charged towards Riley.

His fist swung out at Riley's already disfigured face, but Riley dodged to the side and retaliated with a powerful right hook that connected with Owen's nose. I heard a sickening crunch and adrenaline flooded my body. Without thinking, I rushed towards Owen, but Charlotte held me back desperately.

"No", she mouthed, fear evident in her eyes.

Owen stumbled back from the impact, blood spilling from his nose. He didn't fall though; instead, he settled into a defensive stance, his lips curled into a menacing grin. He spat a mouthful of blood onto Riley's shoes.

As he spoke, Owen's face contorted into a snarl, "I warned you O'Connor". His bruised and swollen skin shifting with each angry movement. The blood dripping from his nose, creating a red stream down his chin and staining his t-shirt. I knew he'd be pissed at that more than his injuries. He really liked his t-shirts.

The hall was filled with students wanting to see the fight, but not get too close. Giving space as they hung on the fringes with their phones out.

"You never gave me the chance to explain my side", Riley strained his teeth grinding.

He seemed to be taunting Owen just by speaking. Owen's muscles were twitching as he tried to suppress the urge to lash out as Riley continued to plead his case.

"I don't want to fight you Owen, she's twisted it to make it look like it's all my fault".

Unable to contain himself any longer Owen launched himself at Riley with explosive anger, shoving his shoulder into him and lifting him off the ground before slamming him down with a loud thud. The impact knocked the wind out of Riley's lungs and Owen's hand tightened around his neck as he leaned in close to his face, muttering something inaudible.

I broke free from Charlotte's grip. "Enough, Owen!" I yelled, my heart racing.

Riley's eyes bulged as he gasped for air.

"Mr Anderson, stop that at once!" Mr Carter's voice echoed through the hallway as he came running towards Owen and Riley, flanked by two other teachers. The sound of their hurried footsteps filled the air as they reached the two boys, trying to pry them apart. With a firm grip under Owen's armpits, Mr Carter heaved him up and away from Riley.

"Stay down" Owen snarled before being hastily led away into Mr Carter's office.

The fight probably only lasted around 30 seconds, it felt like forever though. The images of Owen being hit swam through my mind.

In a daze, I saw Charlotte run over to me, her face drained of colour. She pointed an accusing finger at me and scolded, "Everly, are you crazy?! Don't ever do that again! You could have been seriously hurt".

But before she could continue her lecture, she noticed the broken look on my face and immediately enveloped me in a tight hug. As we stood there in the middle of the chaotic hallway, the crowds began to disperse, leaving Cassie standing nearby with a disapproving shake of her head. Her narrowed eyes held a sharp and critical gaze, already gathering inspiration for new rumours to spread about me.