Chapter 24

As soon as we went through the door, I was all over him. Basically, throwing myself at him. I'd have been mortified if I saw myself back sober. His hands roamed over me eagerly, like a kid in a sweet shop unsure of what to choose first. I grabbed his hands roughly and guided them to my waist, wanting more contact. He began to kiss me furiously and it became unpleasantly sloppy. But at that moment, I didn't care.

Needing a breath, I stepped back, tripping over something, pulling poor Elliot to the ground with me. I again burst into laughter. I knew my back would be aching tomorrow, but I was drunk right now and didn't feel a thing. He looked at me like he worshiped me, tenderly brushing away the hair sprawled across my face. Grinning mischievously, I tugged on his shirt collar and pulled him down for another kiss, only to be interrupted by the sudden burst of the door swinging open.

Owen stormed into the room, seized with rage. "What the fuck is going on here?"

Both Elliot and I stared blankly at Owen. His fists were clenched tightly and his jaw was set firmly. He marched towards us, grabbing Elliot and throwing him across the room before picking me up.

"Everly, what are you doing?!" His voice was loud, a little too loud for me.

"Shh", I hushed him, placing a finger against his lips while massaging my temple with the other hand. My thoughts were becoming more jumbled and incoherent by the second.

I stumbled again, but this time Owen's hands shot out to steady me. For a brief moment, I held onto his arms for support before twisting away from him.

"What are you doing more like. Mr no shirt!" I slurred, turning to Elliot. "Where's the bot? The...thingy".

He didn't respond but started to move towards me until Owen stepped in front of him with a scowl. "She's completely plastered", Owen spat.

Elliot raised his hands defensively. "That's on her. I don't even like to drink, she was just having a good time and got carried away".

"That tends to happen when you down a bottle of vodka, you fucking idiot", Owen snapped back.

"Whoa, whoa", I interjected, standing between the two men with my arms outstretched. "Don't blame him", I slurred, pointing at Elliot. "He's the good guy. Not the good kisser guy".

"For God's sake, Everly", Owen groaned in frustration, his patience clearly wearing thin. "I'm taking you home".

I stumbled backwards, bumping into a chair behind me. "No, let's dance Elliott".

I held my hand out for him to take, but he didn't move. As soon as I took a step towards him, Owen lunged forward and scooped me up effortlessly in his arms.

"You have two options, number one I'm going to take you home".

"What's option two?" I asked, struggling to focus.

"I take you home", he responded.

"Those are the same option!" I protested with a pout.

"Precisely", he replied flatly.

Acting like a petulant child, I kicked my legs out and whined, "No! I don't want to go home. Let's dance, Owen!"

But he remained silent and continued carrying me through the house, pushing anyone who dared get in our way aside. Charlotte appeared in our path and ran over to us.

"She's really drunk. I shouldn't have left her alone", she exclaimed with guilt.

"No, you shouldn't have", Owen replied coldly. "I'm taking her home". My drunken mind couldn't resist another comment.

"But Charlotte, tell him", I garbled, reaching a hand out to stroke Charlotte's face in a motherly way. "I'll be fine. And you should go back to Isaiah. He wants to get in your pants tonight...or under your dress", I giggled at my own crude words.

"Let's go" Owen said as he pushed open the door. "My car is over here" he nodded to Charlotte.

With a firm push, Owen opened the door and motioned for Charlotte to follow him. Charlotte quickly unlocked the back door of the car, and Owen carefully laid me down on the seat. I curled up, feeling the soft upholstery cushioning my body. As they stood talking, their voices were muffled by the ringing in my head. I let out a loud groan, snapping them out of their conversation.

They both climbed into the car, Charlotte insisting that I stay at her place. The engine started with a low rumble, and soon I drifted off into a deep sleep.

The next thing I knew, Owen was carrying me up the stairs to Charlotte's room. Despite his size eleven feet, he moved quietly and gracefully.

"You have big feet" I woke up to say.

"Mhm", was all he said in response.

I nuzzled my face into his shoulder, wanting to make amends for our argument earlier. "I don't want us to be mad at each other anymore", my voice croaked.

"Shh King, just get some rest", he soothed.

He gently set me down on Charlotte's bed. Reluctantly, I let go of him as he peeled my fingers from around his neck.

"Owen", I mumbled sleepily as he turned to leave, "I love you". With that confession off my chest, I closed my eyes and drifted off into a peaceful slumber.