Chapter 42

My lungs gasped for air as my feet pounded against the pavement. I despised running. My lack of athleticism made it even more torturous. As I turned onto my street, drenched in sweat and exhaustion, my relief was short-lived when I saw the car parked directly outside my house, its bright headlights blinding me. Shielding my eyes with my arm, I strained to make out the figure exiting the car. Fear gripped me with a vice-like intensity.

"Don't come any closer, I'll call the police!" I threatened, my hands trembling as I dropped the food I had been carrying and slowly reached into my pocket for my phone.

"There'll be no need for that, Everly", a deep voice spoke from the darkness. It was Mr O'Connor, standing a few feet away from me. His tall and imposing stature was dressed in typical business attire, making him seem even more intimidating under the dim streetlights.

He tipped his black umbrella in my direction. "I just want to speak with you".

My voice shook as I tried to sound authoritative. "You shouldn't be here. You and Riley's are not supposed to have any contact with me".

He scoffed, taking one step towards me. My eyes frantically darted to my house hoping my mum would hear us and come out.

"I can understand your fear, but I assure you I mean no harm". he said in a malicious tone.

"I'm calling the police", I declared, holding up my phone to show him that I meant it. But he didn't budge, watching me with a sick amusement on his face.

"There's no need for that. I just came to warn you one last time to drop the charges. This isn't going to end well for you Everly, the defence will rip you apart on the stand. You'll be shown to be the whore you really are. Riley is innocent".

"Hello? Is anyone on the line?" The operator's voice broke through my panic.

"Yes", I stammered. "I need the police. I'm being threatened".

Mr O'Connor didn't even move, "remember I am a powerful man. See you soon, Everly" he said as he continued to stare at me until finally getting back into his car as if this was a casual conversation. He even waved at me before driving away.

I sprinted to my house and pounded on the door, not even thinking about using my own key. My mum came running and I flew into her arms.

The police arrived shortly after. I was relieved that they hadn't sent Sergeant Reynolds, who I'd fully expected, since it was Mr O'Connor, I'd called about. The officer took my statement before heading to O'Connor's residence. He assured me this wouldn't be taken lightly.

My mum called my dad while I called Owen, urging him not to do anything rash in retaliation. The consequences could be much worse for him, especially since he had already received a caution for the fight with Riley at school.

I thought Riley would've pressed charges against Owen, but apparently was still holding on to some deluded hope of them being friends again. He refused when his dad pushed for it. He even tried to reach out to Charlotte, but she ignored him and blocked his number. As my parents discussed the situation downstairs, I escaped to my room for some privacy.

Owen's voice was filled with remorse as he apologised, "I'm such an idiot. I should've taken you home".

"You were busy, I should be able to go home on my own without Riley or his lunatic dad coming to my home".

"I'm not going to lie, King, it's taking a lot for me to not go over there right now". Owen admitted.

"Don't you dare, I am deadly serious. If you go over there and it kicks off again, you'll end up getting arrested. And I need you by my side next week for the trial. I can't do this without you". I compelled.

There was a sharp intake of breath from Owen before he responded, "You're right, that's more important. I'm sorry".

Trying to change the subject and lighten the mood, I suggested, "With all of this drama, we haven't even been on a proper date".

Owen tried to defend himself, "I took you..."

But I cut him off, "don't even mention the ice cream shop. That was not a date; our parents were there and your siblings too. It was more like a family outing. And the waitress flirted with you even though I was there. I'm convinced she purposely got my order wrong".

He chuckled playfully, "You're right, what kind of boyfriend am I?"

A genuine smile spread across my face at his words. We hadn't officially labelled our relationship yet, so it was the first time he referred to himself as my boyfriend. I would've been on cloud nine if the cloud of the trial wasn't hanging over me.

After saying goodbye to Owen, something clicked in my mind. The way Mr O'Connor spoke to me and the words he used...

It had to be him; he was the one sending those disgusting messages to me. The realisation hit me like a ton of bricks and made me sick to my stomach.