Chapter 46

Eager and anxious, I waited for the promised news. Two days they deliberated, two days it hung heavily over me. As the officer knocked on, and we sat waiting for him to deliver a verdict that could change everything. I clung to my mother, bracing for the worst.

But relief washed over me when he said the words out loud: Riley had been found guilty on all counts. The weight of fear and uncertainty lifted from my shoulders as he was sentenced to five years in prison. Part of me had hoped for a harsher punishment, but the judge had taken into account Riley's age and apparent willingness to seek help.

I scoffed inwardly at the mention of his supposed desire to change - he had already used that excuse with Vivienne.

He would spend most of his time in a Young Offender Institute, but at least he would be locked up and unable to harm any more women. His dad would likely appeal, but for now, justice had been served.

We asked about the investigation into misuse of funds and Sergeant Reynolds, but the officer offered no new information. It was an ongoing case that we could only hope would bring some closure.

Immediately, I called my dad with the good news before reaching out to both Charlotte and Owen.

Owen wasted no time in coming over the next day, his face lit up with relief as he leaned down to kiss me when I opened the door.

"I knew they'd see right through his lies", he said, embracing me tightly. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine", I joked, grateful for his support.

A small smile tugged at his lips. "You know, I actually hate that word now".

I nudged him playfully. "I really am feeling better though. I'm ready to move on from this".

"I'm glad to hear it", he said, gently tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"So, are you coming in, it's freezing standing here? I said stepping aside to let him in.

"You're coming out", he declared. "I thought about what you said and you were right. I owe you a proper date".

"Right now?" I asked, surprised.

"Yep, right now", he confirmed with a pointed look at my coat. "You'll need that. Let's go".

"But I'm in my comfy clothes", I protested bashfully.

His warm gaze lingered on my face. "You always look beautiful to me", he said, his eyes dropping to the ground as he fought back a grin.

I had never seen Owen act shy before - it was endearing and made my heart flutter. Gathering my coat and slipping on my boots, I linked my arm in his as we walked to his car.

"Owen, if you take me back to that ice cream shop again..." I warned with a playful smile.

He laughed. "I promise you, it's not. You're going to love it".

As we shared an affectionate glance, Owen's eyes softened with warmth and adoration. I got in the car and sat back getting comfortable. As we drove, I felt a sense of peace that had been absent for months. The tension that had been coiled within me was now gone.

In this moment, I felt completely safe.