Chapter 17

Charlotte's offer to drive me home was kind, but I needed time alone. As she walked me to the door, she mentioned how Owen had been out of line for bringing Cassie. I let her believe that was the sole reason for my anger, but it wasn't. We had a moment, and though we both said it was nothing, it was a lie on my part. The spark between us ignited something in me, and as much as I tried to dim that light, it continued to blaze fiercely.

Sitting in the taxi with my head resting back against the seat, I looked up at the ceiling. My mind was consumed with thoughts and emotions. I liked Owen, more than I should. It wasn't good.

I'd always had a soft spot for him, but we were such good friends that the idea of taking things further seemed risky. What if it didn't work out? Would we still be able to remain friends? So, we kept things light between us, boxed each other into the friend zone and taped up all the exits.

I hated unrequited love. Not that I was in love with Owen, but the feeling brought me back to when I was 11 years old and had a huge crush on Charlotte's 13-year-old cousin, Shane. When I confessed my feelings to him, he laughed in my face and then pushed past me. Of course, Shane being an imbecile, it wasn't a fair comparison.

But he soon changed his tune when he saw me at their other cousin's wedding last year looking all grown up. I took great delight in turning him down the same way he had done to me all those years ago.

Very Petty Betty of me, but he deserved it.

"We're here love", said the taxi driver, interrupting my thoughts.

I realised then that I hadn't paid attention to where we were going. The thought crossed my mind that he could have been taking me to a secret location to be sold into the sex industry, and I wouldn't have even known. I quickly paid and thanked him before walking up to my house. My feet felt heavy as I dragged them along. This night did not go at all how I had planned. Glancing at my watch, I felt pathetic. I was home an hour before curfew. What kind of teenager was I? The answer was clear: a pathetic one.

Heading straight to my room, I was relieved to find my mum nowhere in sight. Her door was slightly ajar, and I couldn't resist peeking in. She was fast asleep. Dead to the world. What a wasted opportunity. I could've been out until the early hours.

Collapsing on my bed, I initially felt comforted being in my own surroundings. But that feeling quickly dissipated as anger and frustration took over.

Who did he think he was? He was well and truly taking the piss.

I reached for my phone and angrily typed out a message to him.

You practically begged me to come to Charlotte's, then you bring Cassie and flaunt your disgusting new relationship in front of us. You're so disrespectful it's unreal, Owen.

I waited nervously for his reply, half-expecting him to call me right away. But there was nothing. Frustrated, I tossed my phone onto my nightstand.

Fuck him, fuck them both, I thought bitterly.

My bad mood lingered like a bad smell throughout the entire weekend. I even cancelled plans with my dad and instead talked things out with Charlotte, feeling better until she mentioned missing Riley. He had been keeping his distance from all of us lately. Little did she know, it was for her own good.

Monday seemed to creep up on me with relentless determination, and I found myself wishing for some miracle to keep me from having to attend school. But as I reluctantly got ready, brushing my locks until they fell neatly framing my face, it became clear that no such miracle was in sight.

My mum offered me a lift, I politely declined, wanting to be alone with my thoughts on the bus ride. I had an English literature test looming over me, a subject that wasn't exactly my strong point, so I decided to retreat to the library during lunchtime. I was completely engrossed in my sprawled-out books when a shadow suddenly loomed over the desk. My eyes lifted from my notes to find Owen standing there with an imploring look on his face, silently begging me not to send him away. With a frustrated sigh, I dropped my pen and sat up, folding my arms defensively.

The sound of pages turning and students whispering filled the library, but the silence between Owen and I was deafening.

"What do you want?" I said sarcastically.

His hair fell slightly over his forehead and his shoulders slumped in defeat. He scratched his jaw and tried to refrain from replying sarcastically "don't talk, just listen".