Chapter 6

A sudden surge of irritation coursed through my body. "You know what, Owen? Let's talk later".

His brows pinched together "I said I was sorry".

"I know, but I can feel a headache coming on. All I want to do is collapse on my bed and sleep".

"Right", he said sceptically.

We sat in an uncomfortable silence which was unusual for us, and it didn't feel good.

"King, listen. I talked to Charlie earlier and she feels terrible about how everything has gone downhill. Riley does too. She's throwing a small get-together this weekend, just for the crew. You should come", he said nonchalantly, but there was a hint of desperation in his tone. "And don't worry about the girls from dance, none of them will be there, I promise".

He crossed his heart and gave me a pleading look with his big puppy dog eyes. He looked absolutely adorable.

I tapped my fingers nervously on the seat. "I don't know, Owen".

"Just think about it, please". My phone buzzed in my pocket - probably my mum - without even having to check.

"I should probably get going. Thanks for the ride. And Owen, I'm glad you're not mad at me anymore".

He looked genuinely hurt.

"I was never mad at you", he defensively replied. "I just didn't understand what happened. You shut me out, King, and for months now I've been left in the dark, not knowing if it was something I did or said".

I turned to face him, impulsively reaching for his hand and holding it tightly in mine. His hands were rough and calloused, but it wasn't unpleasant; it felt comforting.

"You did nothing wrong. Please believe me when I say this is a 'me' issue. I didn't mean to push you both away. I was hurting, and I didn't know how to talk about it". I exhaled deeply. "I'll come on Saturday, but only for a little bit. And as soon as I want to leave, I'm leaving. Okay?"

He beamed his best smile at me and pulled me into a tight hug. I wrapped my arms around him, barely able to reach around his broad shoulders. I breathed in the familiar scent of his aftershave and buried my head into his shoulder. In that moment, everything felt better, but little did he know it wouldn't last.

We pulled apart, but he kept one hand tangled in my hair, absentmindedly playing with a strand of it. A mischievous glint danced in his eyes. "Remember when Cassie made that comment about gingers, and you got so upset that you dyed your hair black?" He chuckled at the memory and shook his head.

I giggled along with him, but suddenly I was overcome with embarrassment. "Oh god, then we ended up dyeing almost everything in the bathroom black! Why did you and Charlotte let me do that? Why did you even help me?!"

"Because that's what friends do", he replied simply. "They do stupid shit together and have each other's backs".

I smiled softly. "Yeah, that's true". I leaned in and planted a small kiss on his cheek. "I've missed you, Owen. And I'm so sorry".

"I know, King", he said with a reassuring smile. "I've missed you too", I opened the car door and leaned down to give him one last smile before shutting the door.

As I walked towards my front door, conflicting emotions swirled inside me. Why couldn't this moment last forever? I wished it could, but deep down I knew it couldn't. They would hate me, or maybe they wouldn't. They had been my friends for so long - just the three of us for years until Riley joined our group two years ago. The four of us had been inseparable ever since.

My mum sat on the couch, nursing a glass of wine. Her eyes looked tired and weary. It had been a difficult day for her. She rarely drank at home, only when work became too overwhelming or when my dad left. I remember her drinking a shit load of wine back then. He's been gone for over a year now, and she seems to have accepted it. But I still can't let go of the fact that he abandoned us for Vicky. He swore nothing happened while they were still married, but I saw the way they looked at each other at gatherings. Vicky used to be a family friend, and now she's, his girlfriend. It makes me sick.