Chapter 43

I raced downstairs to tell my mum as she was just finishing a call with my dad when I burst into the room.

"That bastard, I wouldn't put it past him", she cursed.

"Mum, it's him. I know it is. We need to call Bailey", I urged.

"We will", she replied, deep in thought. "But you need to get some sleep after your ordeal tonight".

"I am doing the right thing, aren't I?" I questioned, surprising myself because not once had I doubted my decision to pursue criminal charges against him.

My mother's eyes softened as she looked at me with a mixture of pride and sadness. She stroked my hair and planted a gentle kiss on the top of my head.

"Of course, you are so strong Everly. You deserve justice for what you've been through. This is absolutely the right thing", she reassured me.

"Thanks, you're right", I said as I pulled away and headed upstairs. Her words echoed in my mind long after I crawled into bed.

Justice for what I'd been through, but it wasn't just me who'd been through it. The other girl deserved justice too.

I'd decided I was going to try. If she didn't want to, I wouldn't push it. But we both deserved to see Riley sentenced. I drifted into a restless sleep, tossing and turning for most of the night.

"Everly, come down here please!" my mother's voice rang out from downstairs as she heard me stomping around in my room.

I had woken up at the crack of dawn with a plan forming in my mind. After quickly throwing my hair up in a messy bun, I made my way downstairs. For now, I decided to keep my plan to myself. I needed to talk it out with Charlotte and Owen first.

"What's up?" I asked as I grabbed a piece of toast and took a bite.

"You were right", my mother said pointedly. "I spoke to Constable Bailey and she confirmed it was Riley's dad who had been sending the messages. This is what she wanted to speak to us all about. He's going to be charged with harassment and malicious communication. She also mentioned that he had been using a phone designed for anonymous use, which he tried to discard".

I knew it, but I still couldn't quite believe the lengths he had gone to protect his guilty son.

"I don't want you going out alone Everly, I'm serious. These people are scary".

"I can't go back to being a recluse, Mum. I can't be a prisoner because of them. I'll be safe, I promise", I reassured her, giving her shoulder a squeeze before heading back upstairs.

Once in my room, I closed the door and dialled my uncle George's number. I needed the name and address of the other girl who had been victimised by Riley.

I quickly sent the details in our group chat and both Charlotte and Owen were on board with my plan. Owen would come pick me up as soon as I was ready and the three of us would go together. As I changed into comfortable clothes, I texted Owen to let him know I was ready.

The girl lived a few hours' drive away, so I thought we could use the journey time to discuss with Charlotte how I would approach the situation. I wanted to get it right, there was a lot riding on her cooperation.

When Charlotte arrived at my house, my mum greeted her warmly at the door.

"Where are you girls off to?" My mum asked curiously.

I shook my head behind Charlotte as she turned to face me. "I'm taking your lovely daughter for some retail therapy after what happened", she quickly answered.

"That's right. Let's go! Bye Mum!" I grabbed Charlotte's hand and pulled her towards Owen's car.

"Why didn't you tell her?" Charlotte asked once we were in the car, sensing my apprehension.

"Because she would say it's a bad idea, which I'm pretty sure it is", I replied honestly.

"Well, it's too late to back out now", Charlotte said with determination, opening the door for me to get into the car.

I made my uncle George swear to secrecy, his reluctance evident in his initial hesitation before agreeing. He didn't like keeping secrets from my parents, but he understood how important this was to me.

Charlotte and I must have gone over our plan a thousand times, our voices growing weary until we both needed a break. We talked about other things instead. Like her date with Isaiah. I was made up. She enjoyed the cooking class, and now she claimed to be an expert at making Jambalaya.

As we pulled onto her street, I couldn't help but take in the sight of row after row of identical new-build houses with neat gardens. This was a typical neighbourhood, nothing out of the ordinary. Owen turned off the ignition, and I felt a flutter of nerves in my stomach.

I hope she's home, I thought to myself, feeling anxious that our journey may have been wasted if she wasn't there.

"It's number 32, the navy door", Charlotte pointed out, breaking through my thoughts.

"Do you want us to come with you?" she asked.

I paused for a moment, considering her offer. "I think it might be overwhelming. I'd feel that way if it was me anyway. I should go on my own".

They both nodded understandingly. There was no turning back now, I knocked twice and waited anxiously for the door to open. As soon as it did, all the rehearsed words and plans flew out of my head in a jumbled mess.