~3~ Join Him, Join Us ~3~

I was in a very low point in life.

I had a good degree, I had a great resume.
I was supposed to be a young, promising reporter.

I thought I almost had it all. I finally got a good job at a radio show. But it was small, and barely had any listeners. It closed down soon after I was hired, due to having no funds.

Since then, I tried to apply to a lot of stations, but no one accepted me.

I was about to give up and get a random, boring office job. I felt embarrassed by the thought of going back to living with my father, and making him have to support me financially. I am wayyyy old enough to care for myself.

I went to the local bar to drink my frustrations away. I sat on my own, in the corner of the bar, far from the chaotic costumers. I am not careless when it comes to drinking.

The place was warm and home-y, the yellow lights brightening the brown wooden floor, making it look golden.

I tapped on the glass of my second cup, staring at my reflection in the small portion of the remaining liquid.
I debated whether I should go home or order another cup.

"What's gotten you so blue, my dear?"
Someone approached, standing by my chair and leaning on the bar table.

"Err... sorry, I don't speak to strangers."
I mumbled, almost slurring.

"I can respect that."
The gentleman backed away, surprisingly without battle, which I very appreciated.

"...though it contradicts your line of work."
He added quietly.
My head perked up and I looked at the person as he was walking away.

"Sir- you seem familiar. Do I know you from somewhere?"

The man turned around, deciding that me keeping the conversation with him is an invitation.
"I sure hope you don't,"
He smiled and sat down on the bar chair next to me.

Now, that he was closer and I was more focused, I saw that he was brown-haired with glasses, wearing a red vest with a dark bowtie.

I didn't recognise his looks, but his voice seemed familiar.

"...This face was made for radio."

Oh!
"Are you... by any chance... the host of 'Smile'?"

"I might be."

My eyes widened.
I was such a big fan.

But he is also a human just like me, so I should treat him normally and not embarrass myself.

"And... you know me?"

"I recognise your voice, yes."
He said it as if it wasn't a big deal, raising his hand to request the bartender for drinks.

It was a big deal for me.
He is literally my idol.

"It's a shame that 'eve time' shut down.
You seemed like a new voice that would bring more listeners in. Buy hey, less competition for me, I suppose."
He shrugged, chuckling.

I felt my face warm up.
Does he really think that...?

"Oh- where are my manners? Alastor, pleasure to be meeting you."
He reached his hand for a handshake.
"Y/n. Quite a pleasure."