~23~ High Risk ~23~

It was so silent, that even the faint sound of a ticking clock felt as if it was ringing loudly.

We were in a complete different realm, away from the crumbling Vee building.
It was a dark void, slightly illuminated by candles. There was nothing but a table and a few chairs.

Angel duat and I were sitting nearby, like a prize, the glowing chains connecting our souls to our owner were visible.

Husk and Valentino were deep in a game of poker, and the stakes were as high as can be. It is apparent that Husk used to be a big deal before losing to Alastor, this must be why Valentino agreed to the terms.

Whoever wins, will own the rest.

Angel dust followed the game closely, counting the cards in his mind.
I feel like he was less worried for his fate- he is used to it. What horrified him is Husk's and my fate.

I, on the other hand, had no idea what are the rules if poker. But I do trust Husk to win this, that he knows what he's doing.

I looked at their faces. They stayed still, although Valentino did let out a small grin from time to time, which scared me.

I stared at the void.
I wonder how the others are doing.

Are the demons not involved going to do something? Did the folks in the hotel notice that some of us are missing?

I have no doubt Niffty has everything under control.
And I have no doubt that Alastor, too.

My mind travelled.

His ways of showing affection were silent, quite bold at times.

The way he gently entangled our fingers, the way the harsh, permanent smile softened towards me, the way his eyes shined when he looked in mine.

I miss him.
The way he takes care of me, the way he holds me in his arms, the way he listens, the way he has with words that melt me every single time, his occasional humming and singing...

I am too ashamed to face him again with my aching heart, even if I get out of this situation.
I know that as much as it hurts, my fight with him was inevitable. I find it hard to handle his ignorance towards others.

I reached to touch what's left of the bite on my neck, tracing over the teeth marks.
I don't have control over my healing abilities, and for once I was glad for the souvenir, of the last kiss we shared from our fallen relationship.

It was a one time thing, it would never ever go farther than this. It didn't bother me. I cared only about the raw emotions behind it.

This is the only hope that I was living off.
That maybe something can be recovered out of US, after both of us go through change.

I will learn to be more forgiving.
He will learn to care more.
Even if he doesn't.
I will try to be fine with it.
I don't care anymore.
I just want him again.

"I can't be enough for you, it seems."

This sentence of his, these few words hurt like eight angelic daggers lodged in my chest. I can imagine how hard it was for him to come to this realisation.

I should've told him that he will always be enough. I should've told him that we could work on it together.

A disgusting laugh pulled me out of my thoughts.
Valentino slammed his cards on the table and stood up, the abrupt movement stretched the chains and caused Angel and I to fall face first.