° The Moth, The Flame °

Things at the hotel had been somewhat boring, but having Alastor around made it more bearable. No one knew I'd traded my soul to Alastor & I planned on keeping it that way. Not having a soul wasn't much different from having one, at least from what I'd noticed. I felt the same.

"You look awful," Husk muttered to Angel as he sat at the bar. Angel rolled his eyes at the winged cat demon & gestured for a drink, which Husk silently made for him. Those two never seemed to get along. 

Vaggie & Charlie were gone for the day, something about running a promo for the hotel in the main square. I declined, hoping to get the chance to talk to Alastor alone. We'd barely gotten any alone time to discuss our arrangement in more detail over the past few weeks. Any time we did seem to find ourselves alone, something would come up or someone would interrupt. That was the one downside of the hotel: as big as the building is, there's barely any privacy.

My room was my little safe haven away from everyone else, but I'd been spending too much time alone (according to Angel, who said I was becoming a recluse like Alastor). I didn't mind being alone, Charlie showed me Voxstagram & I'd been spending a lot of time on there recently. It was kind of fun to post selfies & chat with other demons.

I sprawled out on the sofa in the main lobby, Angel drinking in silence & Husk wiping out an empty glass. At this point he wasn't really cleaning them, just wiping dust off. Charlie was growing impatient as every day passed with no new residents. I wanted to help her but I was afraid my deal with Alastor would slip out of my mouth. Or maybe they'd notice a difference in me that I hadn't noticed myself.

The clicking of shoes approached me as I mindlessly scrolled through apps. "Y/n," a familiar voice greeted me. I looked up to see the radio demon himself, that signature smile on his face. "Alastor," I smiled, sitting up quickly & placing my phone face down on the sofa cusion. A quick glance at Angel & Husk, they thankfully hadn't noticed.

"Can we talk?" I said in a more quiet voice, keeping my eyes on Angel & Husk in case they overheard. "I was hoping for the same," Alastor admitted, shifting his weight on his feet. It wasn't like him to not keep his solid posture.

Alastor led us out the back doors of the hotel into the spacious garden. No one really spent time out here, which was surprising to me. It was beautiful with always trimmed hedges lining a black cobblestone walkway. In the center was a large ornate fountain, the gentle trickle of water causing the surface to ripple at the bottom. I sat down on the edge of the fountain. "What did you want to discuss?" I asked.

"I'm afraid we didn't have time to discuss the full arrangements we've made," Alastor continued standing. Great, at least we were on the same page. I stayed silent, letting him continue. "There are rules, of course. Anytime I call, you will be there. Anything I ask, you will do. Have you had the opportunity to test your newfound power?"

I shook my head. "No, I haven't really noticed a difference to be honest. I wouldn't know how to control it."

Alastor chuckled. "Well, per our agreement your power is to protect you. It unfortunately cannot be controlled at will, I'm afraid. Only when you truly need it, it will come to you."

Okay... makes sense. But couldn't he have told me that before? & why even ask if I've tested it if he knows I have barely left the hotel recently? I didn't want to upset him, so I just nodded my head to confirm that I heard him. Alastor confused me sometimes, it seemed as if he was always speaking in riddles.

"What about my soul?" I finally spoke. "If I decide I need it back, how would I go about doing so?" Alastor laughed, shaking his head. "You don't get to decide when the contract ends, little doe."

"What if something happens before then? What if I die without a soul?" I shifted uncomfortably on the fountain's edge. I tried to be quieter, in case someone came outside & heard us.

"Your soul wouldn't just disappear," Alastor said. I wasn't sure if he was trying to be comforting. "If something cannot be seen, does that mean it's gone forever?" He cocked his head to the side. I hated when he did that. It felt condescending.

"I guess not," I said, staring at the ground.

"Cheer up! There is no reason to frown!"

"I don't want to die without my soul," I muttered, looking back up at him. He grew quiet, looking away from me for a moment. I obviously didn't think the deal fully through. Something about him made me act like such a fool.

Alastor stepped closer, sitting on the fountain's edge beside me. "Remember this deal is not one sided," he reminded me. "You have the power to protect yourself, when needed of course. Use it."

I wasn't sure how to reply so I opted for silence instead, just staring at him. Part of me already regretted signing my soul over to him, but another part of me trusted him with it. After a few moments, he finally spoke again. "As for what else I get out of this deal..."

He leaned closer, quieting his tone to almost a whisper. His face still holding that ear to ear smile. "I will repeat myself only once, just to make sure you understand. If I call, you come. If I tell you to do something, it's done. If I ask you for anything, it's mine. Do you understand?" His words held so much tension.

I swallowed hard, urging myself to speak. "Yes, Alastor. I understand." It was as if he had some sort of freaky hypnotic curse over me & for a split second I wondered if it was because he held the most important part of me. But it was also like that before I signed myself over to him. Something about him drew me in & I couldn't explain why.

"I do mean anything, little doe. Anything."

"Anything," I repeated, as if to show that I fully understood. His hypnotic gaze didn't leave mine. I subconsciously leaned closer to him, anxious to hear whatever else he had to say to me.

Alastor inched nearer, his warm breath grazing my face. A flutter of nervous excitement quickened my heartbeat, yet I found myself unable to tear my gaze away. The air crackled with static-like anticipation as I, too, leaned in. Was this happening?

His lips delicately met mine & an electrifying sensation surged through my entire being. A subtle hesitation crossed Alastor's expression, as if he questioned the audacity of his actions. In the blink of an eye, he abandoned restraint, lunging into a fervent kiss. This time, I withdrew, suppressing a shiver from the intensity of his touch. A dizzying sensation enveloped me, my heart threatening to burst from my chest.

Alastor's wide grin had faded into a smug smile. "Anything?" He said in a questioning voice. I nodded like a fool in response.

"Anything, Alastor."