° Envious Prince °

"Extermination?" I pushed my eyebrows together in confusion. The last extermination happened just days before I ended up in hell. Charlie had mentioned it once before in passing conversation, but I didn't think it was anything to worry about. No one else seemed overly concerned with it. I understood why it wasn't brought up more often once they explained it was a yearly occurrence & it wasn't something that was going to happen again anytime soon. At least, until now.

"Six fucking months?" Angel threw his arms up in an exasperated gesture. My eyes shot to Alastor, the radio demon just smiled & paid me no mind. He was focused on Charlie & how defeated she looked. Vaggie wrapped a supportive arm around her partner, but Charlie just stared at the floor. "How are we even supposed to prepare for this? Where do we even start?" Angel was still going on a tirade, pacing back & forth in the hotel's lobby. No one answered, no one could even fathom an answer. The small TV sitting on the floor showed flashes of Hell, its citizens in full panic mode already. Vaggie snatched the remote off of the side table & turned it off.

"The extermination is already difficult to deal with on a yearly basis. What if they cut the time in half again? And again after that?" Charlie buried her face in her hands. My heart ached for her. Her dream of redeeming her people was seeming further from reach with every passing moment. I felt guilty even being here, considering my deal with Alastor & the fact that redemption was no longer an option for me. I felt guilty.

"We can't worry about that now," I said. "The only thing we can focus on is protecting the people of Hell as much as we can." I was trying to be supportive, but all I could do was state the obvious. I had no real ideas on how to help. "Maybe.." Vaggie sighed. "It's time.." Charlie's head shot up from her hands, a look of betrayal on her face. "To call your dad." Vaggie continued. Charlie shook her head furiously. "No, no, I can't." Vaggie brushed a stray strand of hair from Charlie's face. "What other choice do we have?"

Lucifer, the king of Hell... I'd only heard the stories & seen pictures of him. The ruler of this realm would possibly be able to lend some insight on the situation for sure. "Maybe she's right," I said, slightly smiling at Charlie. "If he can help, how much would it hurt to try?" Charlie's eyes gravitated back to the floor. I could tell she was fighting the urge to cry. Her dream meant so much to her & she was doing everything she could to make it happen without involving anyone else... but maybe it's time.

I felt someone staring holes into me & followed the odd feeling to find Alastor's eyes locked on to me. Shit. Did he not like Lucifer or something? Just the mere mention of his existence seemed to make more static radiate off of him. I knew I wouldn't hear the end of it once we were alone, even if I'd done nothing wrong. I crossed my legs & leaned back against the chair, trying to push the thoughts of Alastor taking his anger out on me out of my head. Something about seeing him angry did something to me. Others may not notice his anger, but I surely did.

"Fuck, we need everyone we can get." Angel sighed. "Besides, I haven't even met the big honcho yet." He put on his sultry voice & I rolled my eyes slightly. Even though I'd only seen pictures, I could admit Lucifer was beautiful. God's favorite creation, he was supposed to be beautiful. Leave it to Angel Dust to let his urges get the better of him. I had absolutely no room to judge him though.

Angel left to make his way to the bar, the one way he always relieved his stress. After the first night with Alastor, I'd stayed well away from any sort of alcohol. There was a draw to it, sure, but I wanted to savor our moments together as much as I could. I wanted to remember every second & not have it blurred with the alcohol's effects. The faint memories & dull sensations weren't enough for me. I wanted it all.

I looked back at Alastor to find that he'd disappeared. Shit.

Vaggie & Charlie had a quiet conversation, but Charlie was smiling so I knew it was going well. Angel was back to flirting with Husk at the bar, Niffty chasing a bug behind the counter. In that moment, I realized I enjoyed being here. Was redemption truly worth it if I meant I had to leave this behind? I hadn't experienced much of Hell, I knew it wasn't a fucking field of daisys & rainbows here. Seeing the people made it feel more worth it though. If you were different, didn't fit in, or couldn't even remember who you are, you still had a place with the other misfits. A place that made you feel welcome & made you feel like you mattered. I smiled to myself. Regardless of who I was before I ended up down here, it didn't even matter. I was still surrounded by others who welcomed me with open arms (mostly) & they didn't care what I was before I arrived. None of that mattered.

As I climbed the stairs, I gave a glance back at the other hotel misfits & realized maybe redemption wasn't meant for me... And maybe that was alright.