° The King VS The Prince °

The king of Hell was arriving any second. I took another glance around the hotel's lobby. Crude, handmade decorations plagued almost every wall. Charlie paced back & forth, her two demon sheep Razzle & Dazzle watched her every step. I didn't see much of the brothers in my time here, but I had to admit they were both very cute.

"It's going to be fine," Vaggie was yet again supporting Charlie in any way she could. I somewhat felt jealous, not in an envious way, but because I felt as if I wanted someone to care for me like that too. What if I had someone like that before I died & I just couldn't remember? My hands instinctively picked at the hem of my black dress. Charlie insisted everyone dressed nicely for her father's arrival, but besides Charlie, only Niffty & I were more 'dressed up'. Even then, Niffty always wore a dress so it wasn't unusual from her everyday attire. It was just a different color & held more frills. Charlie had ditched the suit for a red dress. Vaggie, Husk, & Angel refused to dress properly for the occasion, & Alastor had only recently made his presence in the lobby known. The seven foot tall demon stood by the door, hands clasped on his staff behind his back. He looked tense. I think we all were.

Charlie sighed & stepped closer to the door. Her hands clasped together in front of her, I yet again felt bad for the blonde haired princess & wondered if there was anything I could do to help. I decided to remain quiet, the guilt of my soul tie to Alastor crept into my mind like a thick, dark cloud. I wondered if she'd hate me if she found out about everything or if her disappointment would lead to her lashing out at me. It wasn't like I hadn't been warned about him.
A knock pulled me from my thoughts & my eyes shot directly to it. Charlie pulled it open & her father snatched her into a big hug. "Charlie!" he exclaimed, hugging the girl so tightly I thought she'd break in half. "Hi dad," She managed to squeak. Lucifer was not any different from the photos I'd seen of him. White suit, blonde hair, red eyes. He was shorter than I'd expected, but that was the only thing that caught me off guard. It was apparent he loved his daughter. The genuine warmth in his embrace made me question why their communication was so infrequent.

Lucifer broke the hug with his daughter & his gaze shifted, locking onto me with an intensity that sent a shiver down my spine.

"And who might this be?"

"Y/n," I answered quickly, straightening my posture. He stepped closer & extended a hand in a gesture that was both regal and welcoming. "A pleasure to meet you, (y/n)." The tension I felt upon his arrival melted away to a sense of happiness. I took his hand & gave an awkward head bow. He was royalty, of course I had to at least attempt to be respectful. He lifted my hand to his lips, placing a gentle kiss on my knuckles. A sinking feeling fell into my stomach, remembering when I first met Alastor. He'd done the exact same thing.

As the exchange continued, a subtle shift in the atmosphere became more apparent to me. My gaze shot to the radio demon. His grin remained, yet there was an unmistakable hint of something more beneath the surface.

As we settled into the plush chairs & couches of the hotel's lounge, the vibrant energy of the room masked the subtle tension that lingered. I was seated between Alastor & Charlie, Lucifer beside his daughter, & Vaggie on the other side of him. Angel & Husk sat on the couch & Niffty ran around, complaining about Lucifer bringing his "outside germs" into the hotel. Lucifer laughed, Charlie was smiling ear to ear at her father & the other tenants of the hotel engaged in happy banter. Even Alastor contributed to the conversation, his witty banter with the King was tinged with irritation, but I don't think anyone really noticed aside from myself.

Charlie & Lucifer's conversation veered away from the hotel to discuss her needs to speak with Heaven once more, but it was as if no one else noticed. Their conversation was quiet, but I hung on every word, picking at the hem of my dress to keep myself occupied.

"Yes! Thank you, dad," Charlie lept from her seat to stand in front of her father, taking his hands into hers.

"Charlie, just listen. You may not get the upper hand in this, the angels can sometimes be-"

"It's going to be fine, dad! I know they'll listen, I just know it!" The princess was practically jumping up & down in front of her father. His expression was uncertain, but he forced a smile for his daughter. Charlie released her father's hands to grab Vaggie's, pulling her from her seat to take her upstairs. Vaggie looked uncomfortable as Charlie enthusiastically told her they'd be going together to the meeting & they should begin packing immediately.

The king sighed before he turned his attention towards me with a glint of curiosity in his eyes. "Now, (y/n)," he began, "I am rather intrigued to learn more about you. What brings you here?" Static pricked at my skin & I could sense Alastor tensing beside me. Lucifer, oblivious to Alastor's growing rage suggested, "Why don't we have a more private conversation, away from the prying eyes and ears?" His proposal held an air of confidentiality, and with a gracious smile, he stood & offered his hand yet again. I remembered the flood of feelings that shot through me the first time I took his hand & I hesitated. I tried to ignore the heat flooding to my core at the thought of touching him again. There was an unspoken dynamic at play that became apparent when the King's eyes glanced at Alastor before moving back to me. "It's of the upmost importance, I'm sure you'll understand," The king continued. His smile was comforting, it was soft & inviting, so very different from Alastor's power play grin. The static pricking at my skin was erratic now, Alastor was quietly telling me not to do it, but I just couldn't refuse. I gently placed my hand in Lucifer's & he led us to the garden.